Old 23-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom or Mary

Default Strawberry Pots and Vacation

I will be vacation for a week in mid July, and live in western PA, and worry
that my strawberry pots will dry out. I have two plans: a. water them well,
place big plastic bags over them and place them in the shade or b. water
them well, place them in this big large square tub filled with water, and
place them in the shade.
Which solution do you think would be better?

Thanks

Tom

Old 23-06-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Tom or Mary wrote:
I will be vacation for a week in mid July, and live in western PA, and worry
that my strawberry pots will dry out. I have two plans: a. water them well,
place big plastic bags over them and place them in the shade or b. water
them well, place them in this big large square tub filled with water, and
place them in the shade.
Which solution do you think would be better?

Thanks

Tom

http://tinyurl.com/zqek3
http://tinyurl.com/jk7u5

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 24-06-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Tom or Mary" wrote in message
I will be vacation for a week in mid July, and live in western PA, and
worry
that my strawberry pots will dry out. I have two plans: a. water them
well,
place big plastic bags over them and place them in the shade or b. water
them well, place them in this big large square tub filled with water, and
place them in the shade.
Which solution do you think would be better?

Thanks

Tom

The plastic bag idea will kill them. Kill, as in "dead".

Old 24-06-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Tom or Mary" wrote in message
I will be vacation for a week in mid July, and live in
western PA, and worry
that my strawberry pots will dry out. I have two plans:
a. water them well,
place big plastic bags over them and place them in the
shade or b. water them well, place them in this big large
square tub filled with water, and place them in the shade.
Which solution do you think would be better?

The plastic bag idea will kill them. Kill, as in "dead".

no kidding, baked strawberries with a side of mold.
the tub idea will drown them. strawberries like well drained
soil.
OP really needs to find a strawberry sitter to come by &
water them or set up a timer water system.

lee or plan to buy new plants
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Old 25-06-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Tom or Mary" wrote in message
I will be vacation for a week in mid July, and live in
western PA, and worry
that my strawberry pots will dry out. I have two plans:
a. water them well,
place big plastic bags over them and place them in the
shade or b. water them well, place them in this big large
square tub filled with water, and place them in the shade.
Which solution do you think would be better?

The plastic bag idea will kill them. Kill, as in "dead".

no kidding, baked strawberries with a side of mold.
the tub idea will drown them. strawberries like well drained
soil.
OP really needs to find a strawberry sitter to come by &
water them or set up a timer water system.

The other option is to do what works for houseplants. Move them to a place
with very dim light, like in a garage. They may grow a bit leggy in the low
light, but they will also use MUCH less water and recover quickly when
brought outside again.