Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Radishs ruined - by what?

Some boring bug has ruined all of my daikon. They bore into the root, and
eat their way through it, leaving brown goo behind. It's too late to do
anything about them this year, but what can I do next time to prevent this?

Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 13:24:43 -0700, "Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal
dot com nospam wrote:

Some boring bug has ruined all of my daikon. They bore into the root, and
eat their way through it, leaving brown goo behind. It's too late to do
anything about them this year, but what can I do next time to prevent this?

Radishes grow fast, so you should be able to start from seed 6 weeks
before the first frost date of your area. I recommend planting the
new crop in another location.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

dot com nospam wrote:

Some boring bug has ruined all of my daikon. They bore into the root, and
eat their way through it, leaving brown goo behind. It's too late to do
anything about them this year, but what can I do next time to prevent
this?

Radishes grow fast, so you should be able to start from seed 6 weeks
before the first frost date of your area. I recommend planting the
new crop in another location.

Daikon are a bit slower growing, and I'm going to try for a fall crop. Which
means the soil will be warm and full of hungry bugs

Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Mix heaping teaspoonfuls of wood ashes 1 inch into the soil where the
radishes and onions will be growing. another thing u might try adding
is some fleece over the rows after u have them seeded i have heard that
it does help. good luck, sockiescat.

--
sockiescat

Ahh, wood ashes, still have a bunch in my wood stove - I'll try that, as I'm
going to put in a fall crop next month.

[IMG] code is On

Ruined tulips Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 18-04-2009 10:47 PM
Seeding a ruined lawn StevenP Lawns 1 11-12-2006 01:32 PM
Ruined Chuckie Gardening 9 04-07-2006 04:41 PM
this rascal ruined my garden! Charles P Edible Gardening 21 29-06-2003 05:44 AM