GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/147360-photo-week-ants.html)

[email protected] 04-07-2006 07:01 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

This week's photo is more a question than a statement.

Walking across the lawn last week, I came upon this large group of ants
with an obviously keen interest in this particular patch of grass.

Question is: What on Earth are they doing?

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Mindful 04-07-2006 07:05 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

wrote in message
oups.com...
This week's photo is more a question than a statement.

Walking across the lawn last week, I came upon this large group of ants
with an obviously keen interest in this particular patch of grass.

Question is: What on Earth are they doing?

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Maybe they were preparing to migrate. The colony may have gotten to large
for the local food supply.

Mean Old Man 04-07-2006 07:25 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:05:36 -0500, "Mindful"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
This week's photo is more a question than a statement.

Walking across the lawn last week, I came upon this large group of ants
with an obviously keen interest in this particular patch of grass.

Question is: What on Earth are they doing?

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Maybe they were preparing to migrate. The colony may have gotten to large
for the local food supply.

That's what I was going to say!

See Ya!

MOM

I've got photo's of bugs on my site Too
Visit my photo site.

Click on the Thumbnails for the full size photo.
Featuring Scenic, Nature, and Strange photos.
Updated Daily. Yes Daily. And the Pix are Free.

http://mom357.photosite.com/

George Shirley 04-07-2006 07:48 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

wrote:

This week's photo is more a question than a statement.

Walking across the lawn last week, I came upon this large group of ants
with an obviously keen interest in this particular patch of grass.

Question is: What on Earth are they doing?

js

PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Looks to me like an ant war Jack. Using my magnifer I can see warriors
fighting in the group, at least that's what it looks like to me. Ants
will often fight over foraging grounds, sometimes of the same species
even. HTH

George

Mean Old Man 05-07-2006 02:33 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:13:27 -0500, "Mindful"
wrote:

"Mean Old Man" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:05:36 -0500, "Mindful"
wrote:

You have some lovely pictures on your site. Butternut creek is beautiful.
So peaceful.

Thank You! I'm glad you like them. I had fun taking them.

See Ya!

MOM

egroups.com...

tom wildzeiss 05-07-2006 12:32 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

Maybe some delicious fluid was spilt over the grass - fruit juice, maybe?

schrieb:

This week's photo is more a question than a statement.

Walking across the lawn last week, I came upon this large group of ants
with an obviously keen interest in this particular patch of grass.

Question is: What on Earth are they doing?

js

PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

handle with care. do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

Mr Clarke 06-07-2006 09:30 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

wrote in message
oups.com...
This week's photo is more a question than a statement.

Walking across the lawn last week, I came upon this large group of ants
with an obviously keen interest in this particular patch of grass.

Question is: What on Earth are they doing?

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Do Ant colonies have a suicidal tendancy?
They appear to be fighting each other!

glenon 07-07-2006 05:06 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ants

No, no! It was an ant rave!