GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What kind of flower is this? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/147371-what-kind-flower.html)

[email protected] 04-07-2006 11:09 PM

What kind of flower is this?

http://oxholmfamily.com/geoff/poconoPictures/flower.jpg
Found in a marsh in the Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania. Thanks!
(Link will go dead after identification.)

George Shirley 04-07-2006 11:13 PM

What kind of flower is this?

It appears to be an iris, looks to be a beardless one, probably a
Louisiana iris that someone had planted in their yard and that got away
in a flood or by birds. Very common around SW Louisiana where I live and
I just pulled out a 33 gallon garbage bag of them along my driveway.

George

JD 05-07-2006 02:40 PM

What kind of flower is this?

wrote:
http://oxholmfamily.com/geoff/poconoPictures/flower.jpg
Found in a marsh in the Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania. Thanks!
(Link will go dead after identification.)

Here in Kentucky we have small patches of wild iris that looks similar
to the one you've pictured here. Purple is the only color I've ever
seen of this type iris and they are much smaller in size than the
varieties grown in garden's and flower beds.

http://www.kywildflowers.info/latespring/dscf2441.html
or
http://www.kywildflowers.info/latespring/dscf2708.html

I did a quick Google for Pennsylvania's wildflower site but it was a
bit more difficult to use than the Kentucky website.

JD

glenon 05-07-2006 04:50 PM

What kind of flower is this?

Could be Blue Flag - used by the indians as food. Blue flag likes swampy
areas to grow. So that's my vote! Also, folks used to take the leaves of
the blue flag as it smells real sweet and use them as Bible markers on
Sundays as it smells good and keeps the person awake to smell it.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

cerwin 06-07-2006 02:33 AM

What kind of flower is this?

yes for sure an iris ... and yes looks like a blue flag (a little small
on the flower but possible) but for sure some sort of siberian
beardless Iris .

Iris for sure most likely siberian ....