Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom or Mary

Default Root Beer Plant

Hoja Santa (Piper auritum) Root Beer Plant. I noticed that the local master
gardeners were growing this plant, but when I asked them if it would survive
the winter, and come back next week they did not know. I live in
Pittsburgh,PA was wondering if I planted it outside would it come back the
next year, or should I plant it in a pot, and bring it inside for the
winter. I noticed someone on a plant website said they were growing it in a
greenhouse in Indiana.

Thanks

Tom

Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Philip Lewis

"Tom or Mary" writes:
Hoja Santa (Piper auritum) Root Beer Plant.
Pittsburgh,PA was wondering if I planted it outside would it come back the
next year, or should I plant it in a pot, and bring it inside for the

Hi Tom!
A google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%28%2...um% 22%29zone
Yielded several conflicting results: 10, 8b, 7.
We were zone 5/6 until recently, we'ce since been moved to 6a (IIRC)
so in all cases, we're too cold.

You *might* be able to get by if you had a southern exposure high heat
retention level microclimate (stone/brick wall sheltered from wind)
but I wouldn't count on it. Best bet is to pot it up and bring it in
in mid/late fall.

Where did you get it?
(sounds like a neat plant... and i like root beer.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip (Ingram PA)

Old 07-07-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom or Mary

I have not purchased it yet. If you live in the Pittsburgh area the plant I
saw is located in North Park at the corner of Ingomar and Babcock where the
cannon is across from the lake. It is planted in one of the flower beds, and
the sign says it was started from seed.

Tom

Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Tom or Mary" wrote in message

Hoja Santa (Piper auritum) Root Beer Plant. I noticed that the
local master gardeners were growing this plant, but when I
asked
them if it would survive the winter, and come back next week
they
did not know. I live in Pittsburgh,PA was wondering if I
planted it
outside would it come back the next year, or should I plant it
in a
pot, and bring it inside for the winter. I noticed someone on a
plant website said they were growing it in a greenhouse in
Indiana.

Thanks

Tom

Root beer is not made from this plant.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-07-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
clc

"Tom or Mary" wrote in message
Hoja Santa (Piper auritum) Root Beer Plant. I noticed that the local
master
gardeners were growing this plant, but when I asked them if it would
survive
the winter, and come back next week they did not know. I live in
Pittsburgh,PA was wondering if I planted it outside would it come back the
next year, or should I plant it in a pot, and bring it inside for the
winter. I noticed someone on a plant website said they were growing it in
greenhouse in Indiana.

Thanks

Tom

Thank you, Tom, for providing me with the *real* name of this plant. I
bought one in the Spring at the UIs Horticulture Club Plant Sale, but it was
only labeled *Root Beer Plant*. I may try to take a start and leave part
outside (I do have a microclimate area in my garden) and bring the mother
inside.

Cheryl

Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tracey

clc wrote:
"Tom or Mary" wrote in message

[...]

When I lived in Minnesota, I did an experiment one year. I had a few
plants that *should* have died over the winter but I stuck the pots
in a fairly protected area and surrounded them with garbage bags
full of leaves. All around and on top. The plants survived to
grow the next year. (IIRC, at least one a calla.)

Tracey