Old 11-07-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve

Default Amaryllis and Narcissus bulb fly

Does anyone here have any knowledge of Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) and
Narcissus bulb fly?

I own several Amaryllis plants and I like to put them outside in the
summer to build themselves up in the better light. Many years, too many
of them are destroyed or severely damaged by a plump larvae that I
believe to be from Narcissus bulb flies. It's odd that I don't seem to
notice of my white narcissus missing. They are growing just several
yards from where I place the Amaryllis and are chronically over crowded.
Daffodils growing elsewhere in the yard also seem to come back just fine
every year.

Still, I believe Narcissus bulb fly to be my problem. (Does anyone have
another idea?) I'm thinking I might be safe putting them out later in
the season, like maybe August. Where I live, the Narcissus are just now
having their leaves turn brown. Maybe in another 3 weeks, the bulb flies
will have finished the adult phase of their life cycle and the Amaryllis
would be safe? That would still give them a couple of months before frost.

Does anyone here know enough about this to confirm or correct my ideas?

Steve (in the Adirondacks of northern NY)
Old 15-07-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve

Steve wrote:

[...]

Well, it looks like I'm on my own with this question. I think what I'll
do is take some outside tomorrow and take the rest out on August 1st. If
the early ones get infested but not the later ones, that will tell me
what to do in the future. If none of them get infested, I'll try earlier
dates next year.
The early ones will be duplicates or less favorite ones just in case
they get ruined.

Steve
PS If you are shy about posting and want to contact me directly, I'm
really at adelphia dot net.
Old 19-07-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve

Steve wrote:

................................Where I live, the Narcissus are just now
having their leaves turn brown. Maybe in another 3 weeks, the bulb flies
will have finished the adult phase of their life cycle and the Amaryllis
would be safe?..............

By the way, I was just looking at the narcissus leaves. They are laying
flat to the ground but mostly still green. No wonder the bulb flies stay
active so long.

Steve