GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery Vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/147720-mystery-vine.html)

[email protected] 15-07-2006 03:11 PM

Mystery Vine

Could someone tell me what vine this is? I'm assuming it is in the
cucumber family - Cucurbitaceae. It's scrambling around an old stone wall
in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia and is currently flowering. Stem
and leaves are all rather bristly. It must be some sort of garden escape
as there are only 2 native species in the area in that family and this is
neither.

http://bilton.us/vine3.jpg
http://bilton.us/vine4.jpg
(More pics at vine 1 and vine 2)

--Kathy

kathy at the domain fred net

Myrl Jeffcoat 16-07-2006 04:09 PM

Mystery Vine

Kathy-
I couldn't say for certain - but it looks a bit like a Clematis.
Perhaps you could compare it to this picture I found in the Google
images.

http://www.amg.gda.pl/~orl/kolekcje%...ratifolia2.jpg

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com