GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/147721-trees.html)

[email protected] 15-07-2006 06:06 PM

trees

would like to plant a tree in asunny location near my patio, facing
south. live in portland..what kind of tree would you recommend?

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 15-07-2006 06:36 PM

trees

wrote:
would like to plant a tree in asunny location near my patio, facing
south. live in portland..what kind of tree would you recommend?

Lacebark (Chinese) Elm

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

BB 16-07-2006 08:40 AM

trees

wrote in news:1152983213.786617.80250@
35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

would like to plant a tree in asunny location near my patio, facing
south. live in portland..what kind of tree would you recommend?

I would recommend a tree that will grow in that area given its sun
requirements and accomplishes what you want to accomplish with a tree.

What I mean by that is this: Decide what you *want* from the tree first.
Do you want shade in summer but not winter? Do you want fruit? Do you
want a large tree or a small tree? Do you want a tree that will stay
green all year long and act as a screen? How much space do you have to
give the tree? Etc., Etc., Etc....

My recommendation: Decide what you want the tree to do and then go to a
local nursery or big box home store and talk with someone who can direct
you to something that will grow where you want it to go and do what you
want it to do.

--Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *