Old 13-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Steve J

Default Attach weed sprayer to Sprinkler System

Hi all,
Posted this in home repair before I found this group.

I've been trying to figuare out a way to attach a weed sprayer or create
some sort of attacment to my Sprinkler system.

Here's a rough idea:

----backflow preventer---weedkiller---Sprinkler system
I've taken apart several of the bottle spayers and it seems all I need is a
very small tube.
The bottle needs to be placed inline so that the water pressure would pull
solution through the tube and into the sprinkler system. I think I'll have
to have a pin size hole just so I'll only use a small amount of solution
during each watering.

Anyone done anything like this?
What did you use?
Can you provide a material list?

Thanks in advance
Steve J

Old 13-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Michael Spencer

I've been trying to figuare out a way to attach a weed sprayer or create
some sort of attacment to my Sprinkler system.

There are several avaiable technologies designed to deliver
rust-prevention and/or fertilizers through residential irrigation
systems. One is www.fertigator.com.

But the delivery of herbicides seems a bit dangerous to me...perhaps
you want to expand a little on your application?

Michael Spencer ASLA
Old 13-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Warren

Steve J wrote:
[...]

Depending upon the chemicals involved, what you're describing may be
illegal. After evaporation and run-off, a significant amount of the
chemical you're applying is going to be entering the air or water
supplies. I don't know what herbicide you're planning on using, but I
sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near your neighborhood when you use
it.

If you're still interested in trying this, I would suggest trying to
find an unemployed Iraqi weapons builder to help you because what you're
describing isn't a responsible way to use herbicides. It's chemical
warfare with no regard for human life.

There's a reason why those parts you have don't fit together.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 13-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Dvd

It is essential that a "backflow prevention device" be installed on any
sprinkler system, especially one that is equipped for chemical injection.
Failure to do so puts the water supply in your own home at risk and also the
community.

More info:

http://www.mindspring.com/~loben/hose-txt.htm

http://www.abpa.org/busterb.htm

Old 14-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Phisherman

My lawn used to very weedy. I used alternate treatements of
Weed-B-Gone and Spectricide, sparated by a two week period. I used a
pressurized garden sprayer and just sprayed the weeds, not the entire
lawn. What one product did not get, the other DID. It took about 20
minutes or so to "hunt" down all the weeds over a half acre. Use the
weed killer on a bright sunny day with no rain in the forcast for 24
hours. You'll use very little weed killer but this method is very
effective, especially in the spring. I would never put weed killer in
a sprinkler system.

Old 14-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Marley1372

Herbicide is NOT intended to be used through an irrigation system! Do you have
any other plants? DO your neighbors?? What do you guess will hapen to those
plants when they are covered with herbicide? Also note: If it says not to use
the product this way on the label, it is against the law to do it. It is also
against common sense.

Toad
Old 14-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Dwight Sipler

Marley1372 wrote:

...If it says not to use
the product this way on the label, it is against the law to do it...

Actually, the label is restrictive. If it DOESN'T say you can do it, you
can't.