Old 17-07-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Default Garden Clock question

Can any one of the flower gardeners in this group provide the name of a
plant(s) whose flower opens at 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon? Also when it
closes if you know.
I'm trying to finish this hypothetical garden clock for our garden
club newsletter and I can't come up with a flower that opens between 1
and 4 pm.
Thanks for any assistance.

Morning Glory, Ipomoea purpurea. Opens at dawn. A funnel-shaped flower
grown on a vine. It blooms from July to October and can grow to be 10'
in length.

Dandelion, Taraxacum officinale. Opens at 7 or 8 a.m. A small yellow
flower that is common in every lawn. It blooms from March to September
and is 2" to 18" tall.

Blue Pimpernel, Anagallis monellii. Opens at 9 or 10 a.m. A
long-blooming annual with stunning, electric-blue flowers. It blooms
non-stop from mid summer to late fall and is 8-16" tall.

California Poppy, Escholtzia californica. Opens at 11 a.m. A
brightly-colored, four petal flower. It blooms May to September and
grows 8" to 12" tall.

Meadow Salsify, Tragopogon pratensis. Opens at 12 p.m. A bright yellow
flower on a long stalk, often mistaken for a dandelion. It blooms from
June to October and can grow to be 1' to 3' tall.

Rock Pink, Talinum calycinum has several common names including Fame
Flower and Flower-of-an-hour. Opens at 1 p.m. A profusion of large 1"
rose-pink flowers appear to float above the ground on wiry wispy 12"
stems from May to September.

Some flower that open at 2 or 3 pm?

Four O'Clock, Mirabilis jalapa. Opens at 4 p.m. A common garden plant
with yellow, red, white or mottled flowers on long vines. It blooms
from May to September and grows to be about 3' in length.

Evening Primrose, Oenothera biennis. Opens at 6 p.m. A lemon-scented,
large, yellow flower on a hairy stem. It blooms from June to September
and grows to be 2' to 5' tall.

Old 17-07-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tracey

told2b wrote:
Can any one of the flower gardeners in this group provide the name of a
plant(s) whose flower opens at 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon? Also when it
closes if you know.

Chicory. Opens ~2 pm.

And, no, I'm not that knowledgeable. :P

http://www.smv.org/jil/mll/ktwo/MLLK-2TL-CA-canpla.pdf

Tracey

Old 17-07-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb

Go he
http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcata...locks-bulk.htm

--

Betsy
ps.com...

Old 18-07-2006, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Tracey wrote:
told2b wrote:
Can any one of the flower gardeners in this group provide the name of a
plant(s) whose flower opens at 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon? Also when it
closes if you know.

Chicory. Opens ~2 pm.

And, no, I'm not that knowledgeable. :P

http://www.smv.org/jil/mll/ktwo/MLLK-2TL-CA-canpla.pdf

Tracey

Thanks for the site Tracy. But . . . They are mistaken. Chicory opens
up in
the morning not 2 pm. I think they are wrong about Scarlet Pimpernel,
Dandelion,
Morning Glory and Calif. Poppy too. I understand that flowers open up
at different
times in different parts of the country. But I can't see Chicory
opening up five
hours later than it does in zone 6.
Thank you.

Old 18-07-2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tracey

told2b wrote:
Tracey wrote:

told2b wrote:

Can any one of the flower gardeners in this group provide the name of a
plant(s) whose flower opens at 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon? Also when it
closes if you know.

Chicory. Opens ~2 pm.

And, no, I'm not that knowledgeable. :P

http://www.smv.org/jil/mll/ktwo/MLLK-2TL-CA-canpla.pdf

Tracey

Thanks for the site Tracy. But . . . They are mistaken. Chicory opens
up in
the morning not 2 pm. I think they are wrong about Scarlet Pimpernel,
Dandelion,
Morning Glory and Calif. Poppy too. I understand that flowers open up
at different
times in different parts of the country. But I can't see Chicory
opening up five
hours later than it does in zone 6.
Thank you.

Heh. Sorry. But it looked good to me. :P

Tracey