Old 18-07-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
fran

Default Poison Ivy

Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

Old 18-07-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin

pixi wrote:

Ever hear of Virginia Creeper??

"fran" wrote in message
..
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

There's also Box Elder, a maple, that looks like poison ivy if you get its
3-leaf version, but usually has 5.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 18-07-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

In article , fran1234
@volcanomail.com says...
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

I've come across poison ivy with a 5 leaflet pattern a couple of times
over the years, it's more of a modified leaf of the bottom part of the
leaflet that gives it the 5 leaf look, as mentioned in another post box
elder saplings look exactly like poison ivy and will have 5 leaf mixed
with the 3 leaf pattern, but it will grow more upright and won't have
the clinging "hairs" as will the ivy.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 18-07-2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Believe me, it's not Virginia Creeper or Box Elder. This thing had the
standard 3-leaf vine (~2ft long) branching off the 5-leaf vine (~6
inches long). The 5-leaf also had the center leaf with symetrical
(sp?) notches and all 4 side leaves with the irregular notches (few on
the side closest to the middle, many on the side furthest from the
middle). And it was definately 5 seperate leaves.

Virginia Creeper has all 5 leaves with identical symetrical notches.

Old 18-07-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob

fran wrote:
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

OH NO! If it crosses with Virginia Creeper, we'll never get it killed!

Old 19-07-2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve

Steve wrote:

wrote:

Believe me, it's not Virginia Creeper or Box Elder. This thing had the
standard 3-leaf vine (~2ft long) branching off the 5-leaf vine (~6
inches long). The 5-leaf also had the center leaf with symetrical
(sp?) notches and all 4 side leaves with the irregular notches (few on
the side closest to the middle, many on the side furthest from the
middle). And it was definately 5 seperate leaves.

Like this plant?
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...330152.html?11

Well, I shouldn't have just left it like that. The pictures seem to be
Virginia Creeper (I guess) but that first picture appears to fit your
description of the notches being fewer on the inside.
I could go look closer at the Virginia Creeper in my yard but I recently
pulled most of it out (again). I've lived in the Adirondacks for nearly
30 years and I have never seen poison ivy here, though I am told it can
be found if you look in just the right places.

Steve

Old 19-07-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

In article . com,
says...

"fran" wrote in message
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

Here ya go Fran....found these this morning.
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/PoisonIvy.htm
--
Lar

Old 19-07-2006, 02:30 AM
Registered User

Smile

wrote in message
Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

http://www.zanfel.com/help/rashfaq.html
http://drcribben.wordpress.com/2006/06/21/poison-ivy/
http://nac.tamu.edu/x075bb/caddo/frameidx.html
http://extension.unh.edu/FHGEC/docs/poisnivy.htm
take a peek at these links and maybe it might clear things up concerning whether there are more than three leaves on poison ivy. cyaaa, sockiescat.

Old 19-07-2006, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yeah, it looked like the second URL. Nasty crap, and it's all over the
place in NC. I have to keep pulling it up or killing it with RoundUp
because I'm severely allergic to it. I've gotten to the point I can
identify it with just a glance.

-

http://tinyurl.com/oe5fb
http://tinyurl.com/ktev7
http://tinyurl.com/efu28

Old 20-07-2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:06:29 GMT, fran
wrote:

Well, I was vindicated today. For years I have maintained that there
is a 5-leaf version of poison ivy and no-one believed me.

Today I pulled up a poison ivy vine by the roots, and found both the
standard 3-leaflet sets *and* the 5-leaflet sets on it! And yes, they
were from one plant - there was only one small root.

Silly me, though, I didn't think to take a photo of it until just now
- when it's already met it's fate. Oh well, I'll just have to wait -
I'm sure I'll find the (#&%&^% stuff again.

Just in case you're curious, the 5-leaflet set looks like the
3-leaflet set, except there are 2 more small leaves on the outside
forming a neat circle of leaves. The notches are the same and
everything. This version looks verrry like another vine that is
called wandering jenny, as I recall. Makes me wonder if they are
related.

Call me skeptical, I'd want to see it myself to be sure

Virginia creeper has tendrils, Poison Ivy (PI) has aerial
rootlets. Think "hairy rope" when looking for a PI vine.
Look up tendrils and then aerial rootlets to see the
difference between them.

Box Elder (more properly called Ash leave Maple) has
opposite leaves. Usually only three leaflets on young trees
only 1-2 feet tall. Mature trees have 3-7 leaflets. PI
always has **alternate leaves**.

Here is some crappy ASCII art.

Opposite:

---|---

---|---

Alternate:

|---

---|

|---

There are only six other common species with three leaflets
and alternate leaves.

Poison Oak- questionable if it even differs from PI and
should be classified differently.

Fragrant Sumac - Could be confused with PI.

Cissus - much different.

Hoptree - not all that uncommon, but I've only seen it in
one particular area by me. Could be confused with PI.

Scotch Broom - much different.

Bicolor Lespedeza - much different.

Most of the common plants that look similar to PI have
opposite leaves and can be eliminated quickly with this
knowledge from a distance. The shape of the leaves, toothed,
smooth, irregular, is meaningless and not a good method for
identification of PI.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM