GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   pink bulb with points (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/147859-pink-bulb-points.html)

Tony 19-07-2006 04:04 PM

pink bulb with points

I am wondering what is growing on the leaves of my maple trees. It is a
1/2 inch diameter pink bulb with thorn-like protrusions on it. I have
photos. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

told2b 19-07-2006 05:44 PM

pink bulb with points

Tony wrote:
I am wondering what is growing on the leaves of my maple trees. It is a
1/2 inch diameter pink bulb with thorn-like protrusions on it. I have
photos. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Maple Eyespot Gall? Or some other gall.
HTH

Tony 20-07-2006 04:34 PM

pink bulb with points

told2b wrote:
Tony wrote:
I am wondering what is growing on the leaves of my maple trees. It is a
1/2 inch diameter pink bulb with thorn-like protrusions on it. I have
photos. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Maple Eyespot Gall? Or some other gall.
HTH

Pictures I have seen on the web of maple eyespot gall are simply a
discoloration on the leaf. This is actually a bulbous formation (a
seperate life form) that appears to either find a home on the leaf or
maybe even be parasitic.