GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what looks like a pink smoke tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/147946-what-looks-like-pink-smoke-tree.html)

Jim Shaffer 21-07-2006 11:35 PM

what looks like a pink smoke tree?

I saw a tree recently that looked from a distance like a pink smoke
tree (Cotinus coggygria), but upon closer viewing the leaves were tiny
and somewhat fern-like and the blossoms were like astilbe or
goatsbeard. What is it?

zxcvbob 22-07-2006 12:07 AM

Jim Shaffer wrote:
I saw a tree recently that looked from a distance like a pink smoke
tree (Cotinus coggygria), but upon closer viewing the leaves were tiny
and somewhat fern-like and the blossoms were like astilbe or
goatsbeard. What is it?

Tamarix? (salt cedar)

Best regards,
Bob

Jim Shaffer 22-07-2006 07:41 PM

what looks like a pink smoke tree?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:07:26 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Jim Shaffer wrote:
I saw a tree recently that looked from a distance like a pink smoke
tree (Cotinus coggygria), but upon closer viewing the leaves were tiny
and somewhat fern-like and the blossoms were like astilbe or
goatsbeard. What is it?

Tamarix? (salt cedar)

That looks like it, thanks. I've only seen the one here in
Pennsylvania.