Old 13-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Tracey

Default How to prepare a 'plant stand' for outdoor life

A few years ago, I bought something at a garage sale for
my daughter. Don't really know what to call it but it's
basically a scaled down version of a standing kitchen
cabinet. I had bought it for her to use in playing house.
She hasn't used it in a long time and it's just sitting
there. I was thinking that it would make a cute little
thing to sit a few plants on after I found a place in
the yard for it. But I'm not really sure how to prepare
it so that it won't look really grungy and so that it
won't rot or fall apart after a year or two.

It's bare wood, no paint or varnish on it. I was thinking
either putting some primer on it and then a good coat or
two of exterior house paint OR a couple of coats of poly-
urethane. Would this be more of a personal preference
thing or would one be more preferable to the other? And
what about the bottom? Sitting on dirt would tend to make
the parts that are there rot faster, wouldn't it? Should
I try to find some way to cover the parts that will come
in constant contact with dirt with hard plastic or rubber?
Kind of like 'shoes'?

Tracey

Old 17-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Tracey

Can you tell what kind of wood it is made from.

I can't tell what kind of wood, but it's definitely
'real' wood and not particle board. Looks handmade,
actually. Thanks for the suggestions and it sounds
like it's basically personal preference on whether to
go with exterior paint or polyurethane.

Tracey

Old 17-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:29:36 GMT, Tracey wrote:

Can you tell what kind of wood it is made from.

I can't tell what kind of wood, but it's definitely
'real' wood and not particle board. Looks handmade,
actually. Thanks for the suggestions and it sounds
like it's basically personal preference on whether to
go with exterior paint or polyurethane.

Tracey

If the wood is unfinished you can use CWF. This product is made by
"Flood" and contains a UV inhibitor. I use it on my outdoor furniture
and rose trellis.

[IMG] code is On

Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)? gar_newbie Gardening 5 25-03-2009 10:20 PM
Plant stand help Ang United Kingdom 2 12-03-2005 05:15 PM
indoor plant for stand Dave Smith Gardening 9 28-02-2005 02:36 PM
Plant trees/stand? Raymond G. Waldo Gardening 2 20-06-2004 04:03 AM
Which plant can stand aphid and can grow on a balcony? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 4 22-10-2002 05:15 PM