GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Breaking up thick & wide roots of Black Olive. 8 lb Maul or 3 1/2 lb Axe? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148208-breaking-up-thick-wide-roots-black-olive-8-lb-maul-3-1-2-lb-axe.html)

Wilton Milktoast 29-07-2006 11:49 PM

Breaking up thick & wide roots of Black Olive. 8 lb Maul or 3 1/2 lb Axe?

I had a 50 foot black olve cut down. The stump and surrounding area
were ground with a stump grunder. I am doing sprinkler work and have
so thick root masses. 4 inches thick 10 inches wide and some are just
flat. Trying to hit them with a hatchet or hand ax is like hitting
concrete.

I want to try to break them up at least to decompose faster. I
driilled holes with stump rot in some holes, sugar in others and high
nitrogen fertilzer in others.

I am thinking just cover em over and hope the decompose with the holes.
Alternatively, I was thinking of a maul or big ax to break up these
roots. Any suggestions? Forget fire as these roots seem impervious
to fire. .

zxcvbob 30-07-2006 04:57 AM

Breaking up thick & wide roots of Black Olive. 8 lb Maul or3 1/2 lb Axe?

A mattock, or a 5 or 6 pound axe (get the axe at a fireman's suppley
store.) The mattock is probably the better choice. A maul would be
almost useless.

Bob