Old 07-08-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fourth of July tomatoes

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this
season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly tasteless.
Snore.............

Old 07-08-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:26:44 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this
season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly tasteless.
Snore.............

That was my experience, too. But my dad grows them every year and his
taste great. We live about 25 miles apart in upstate NY- same
zone, but my garden is primarily sand & his is primarily clay.

For me, this is the first year I've tried Scotia -- and they are very
tastey. In mid June I thought I'd get some by July 4, but then the
monsoons arrived & it was July 20th before I ate one. The six
plants have given me a few 2-3 inch tomatoes every day since. Very
juicey & full of flavor.

Jim
[who has had just 2 Sweet 100s this year-- and they are tasteless.
Unlike last year when they were like candy.]
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this
season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly tasteless.
Snore.............

That was my experience, too. But my dad grows them every year and his
taste great. We live about 25 miles apart in upstate NY- same
zone, but my garden is primarily sand & his is primarily clay.

For me, this is the first year I've tried Scotia -- and they are very
tastey. In mid June I thought I'd get some by July 4, but then the
monsoons arrived & it was July 20th before I ate one. The six
plants have given me a few 2-3 inch tomatoes every day since. Very
juicey & full of flavor.

Jim
[who has had just 2 Sweet 100s this year-- and they are tasteless.
Unlike last year when they were like candy.]

Interesting...and a friend who's got clay soil is always bitching about how
great MY soil is. Maybe I should import a few bushels of hers. I can make
dishes out of whatever I don't use in the garden.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I'm done with Burpee! Two years in a row now they have failed to deliver in
time for planting in my zone.

--
J.C.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That's weird. I got the catalog in mid-December, ordered the day before
Christmas, and the seeds were here 5 days later. When did you place your
order?

Old 07-08-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

I usually order within 10 days of getting the catalog. The things I order
usually has that disclaimer about shipping in time to arrive at time to
plant for your zone. And, they used to do just that but the last two years I
had to call and then reject the order. At least they were quick about the
account credit.

--
J.C.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

wrote:

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this
season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly
tasteless. Snore.............

That was my experience, too. But my dad grows them every year and his
taste great. We live about 25 miles apart in upstate NY- same
zone, but my garden is primarily sand & his is primarily clay.

For me, this is the first year I've tried Scotia -- and they are very
tastey. In mid June I thought I'd get some by July 4, but then the
monsoons arrived & it was July 20th before I ate one. The six
plants have given me a few 2-3 inch tomatoes every day since. Very
juicey & full of flavor.

Jim

As long as they don't taste like Haggis...
Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

wrote:

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this
season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly
tasteless. Snore.............

That was my experience, too. But my dad grows them every year and his
taste great. We live about 25 miles apart in upstate NY- same
zone, but my garden is primarily sand & his is primarily clay.

For me, this is the first year I've tried Scotia -- and they are very
tastey. In mid June I thought I'd get some by July 4, but then the
monsoons arrived & it was July 20th before I ate one. The six
plants have given me a few 2-3 inch tomatoes every day since. Very
juicey & full of flavor.

Jim

As long as they don't taste like Haggis...

No, but last year's zucchini did. Blech.