GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning a Contorta? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148478-pruning-contorta.html)

Jo Ann 07-08-2006 06:59 PM

Pruning a Contorta?

I have a Contorta shrub next to my deck that I absolutely love for its
twisty shape in the winter (reminds me of bonsai). However, it tends
to grow wildly in the summer, becoming much larger than I would like.
Does anyone know the best approach to and time for pruning a Contorta?

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Arborsmith 09-08-2006 04:29 AM

Pruning a Contorta?

Is that a Salix (willow) Contorta ?
In general prune in summer to limit growth, prune in winter to
encourage new growth.

Richard
http://www.arborsmith.com

John A. Keslick, Jr.[_1_] 10-08-2006 12:54 AM

Pruning a Contorta?

Jo Ann

I would suggest before pruning woody plants (Most have branch collars) that
one would review the contents of this book.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html Maybe your library can
get it.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!

ups.com...

Jo Ann 10-08-2006 03:39 PM

Pruning a Contorta?

No, it is a Corylus avellana -- a type of hazel, I believe --
considered a "specimen or shrub border" from what I've been able to
find on the Net (mine is a single, thriving specimen). Limiting new
growth is the goal I'm after.

Jo Ann