Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default best time to plant grass?

I hope this is in the right group....I'm wondering when the best time
would be to plant grass here in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I hope this is in the right group....I'm wondering when the best time
would be to plant grass here in the Pacific Northwest.

Look at the natural/domesticated grasses in your area. Then see when they
seed.

Basically, that's when you should seed.

"Planting" sod is best done when the new-growth season starts in your area -
usually spring.

That said - Most perennial grass seeds will sprout and sod will take nearly
all times of the year when soil temps are above roughly 50F. Some midwest
grasses will sprout in temperatures lower than that.
(How many of those planted will actually sprout at the partticular temp
is more to the question.)

fwiw

Old 07-08-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

"hob" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
I hope this is in the right group....I'm wondering when the best time
would be to plant grass here in the Pacific Northwest.

Look at the natural/domesticated grasses in your area. Then see when

they
seed.

Basically, that's when you should seed.

I should add that many grasses don't sprout shortly after they seed: they
often wait, until the wet season.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I hope this is in the right group....I'm wondering when the best
time
would be to plant grass here in the Pacific Northwest.

In the fall.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

From seed? What kind? Laying sod? Fill in bare patches only?

I'm planting from seed. I started a small patch, with some
seed/fertilizer mixture, and it's starting to sprout little bits just
like the instructions say it should. But before I do the whole rest of
our yard, I figure I should make sure it's the best time. Seems like
maybe I should wait for next spring? I don't know, there seem to be a
mixed bag of suggestions. Maybe it doesn't really matter.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

where there are seasons fall is the best time to plant grass because most weed seeds
dont sprout as fall approaches. the grass has a chance to get a bit ahead with root
growth. Ingrid

wrote:

From seed? What kind? Laying sod? Fill in bare patches only?

I'm planting from seed. I started a small patch, with some
seed/fertilizer mixture, and it's starting to sprout little bits just
like the instructions say it should. But before I do the whole rest of
our yard, I figure I should make sure it's the best time. Seems like
maybe I should wait for next spring? I don't know, there seem to be a
mixed bag of suggestions. Maybe it doesn't really matter.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
From seed? What kind? Laying sod? Fill in bare patches only?

I'm planting from seed. I started a small patch, with some
seed/fertilizer mixture, and it's starting to sprout little bits just
like the instructions say it should. But before I do the whole rest of
our yard, I figure I should make sure it's the best time. Seems like
maybe I should wait for next spring? I don't know, there seem to be a
mixed bag of suggestions. Maybe it doesn't really matter.

The 'mixed bag of suggestions' seems to center around you needing to do
some more homework on the type of seed you're sowing. It appears though
that you're using some general purpose seed purchased at one of the home
stores, which may negate the need for the homework, since you're not
sowing a specific seed type. However, it still would be a good idea to
check into the subject as much as you can.

There was a show (Grow it and Mow it) on the DIY network about lawn
basics. As I recall, one of the questions was "when to plant seed", the
expert answered "anytime", as long as you do proper ground preparation,
seeding, and follow up care. It seems most failures are caused by
improper ground prep and follow up, mostly ground prep though. For
example, simply sowing seed on bare dirt that hasn't been properly
tilled may allow the seed to germinate and begin to grow, but not allow
it to establish a strong root structure, so it dies off after a few
weeks. Additionally, simply putting down a few inches of top soil on
compacted earth has the same effect due to soil stratification. If
you're sowing seed in an already established lawn, there's still prep
work that needs to be done, just different than bare earth.