Old 08-08-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need help identifying a tree...

Hi...

I'm in northeastern Texas, and I have a sapling about three-feet tall
growing near a shrub in my yard, and I'd like to know what kind of tree it
may become.

I have searched the web exhaustively and have not found a match close enough
for me to be certain. I thought perhaps some you lawn and gardening experts
might know it on sight:

http://www.cox-internet.com/kenb2002/leaf.jpg

Ken

Old 08-08-2006, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article NCSBg.15259$PO.8656@dukeread03,
says...
Hi...

I'm in northeastern Texas, and I have a sapling about three-feet tall
growing near a shrub in my yard, and I'd like to know what kind of tree it
may become.

I have searched the web exhaustively and have not found a match close enough
for me to be certain. I thought perhaps some you lawn and gardening experts
might know it on sight:

http://www.cox-internet.com/kenb2002/leaf.jpg

Ken

Sort of looks like box elder. You can look at 5 different trees and
find numerous shapes in the leaves that vary a bit.
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/100_4706.JPG

--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

I agree with Lar. It looks like boxelder to me too. It is fast
growing but doesn't stand up to storms well. Also accussed of
harboring boxelder bugs, but I couldn't be sure of that.

sdmg2002

Old 10-08-2006, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In studying tree biology, I found it very interesting that the color of the
discolored or chemically altered wood from a wound or injury of the box
elder tree, is the same color as its close associate, the so called box
elder bug.
Rear friendly creatures.
here is one of my dissections in my research.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/D/index.html see Discolored Wood.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!

ups.com...

Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Do you have the box elder bugs in Texas?

I really don't know. I think this little twiglet is the first boxelder I've
seen. I'm sorry to say I really don't know much about trees - not even sure
what all of them around the property are! But none of the rest of them seem
to be a boxelder.

Ken

"John A. Keslick, Jr." wrote in message
. ..
Ken

Do you have the box elder bugs in Texas?

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
"Ken123" wrote in message
Yep, that sure seems to be it! I did a Google Images yesterday and looked

at
every "tree leaves" picture I could find and didn't see that one. Thanks.

Ken

. ..

Old 11-08-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , treeman214
@comcast.net says...
Do you have the box elder bugs in Texas?

only in the female tree...also have the red shoulder bug that will be
found in an number of other common tree species.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Since this tree was competing with a shrub I didn't want to lose, I tried to
transplant it. It didn't work. So now it's on the burn pile. I was very
disappointed.

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article , treeman214