GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shaping the Japanese maple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148547-shaping-japanese-maple.html)

[email protected] 09-08-2006 08:49 PM

Shaping the Japanese maple

Is there a special way to shape it up, or do I just take the cutters
and make it into an acceptable shape - something more round than what
it it now? Thank you.

William Wagner 09-08-2006 09:24 PM

Shaping the Japanese maple

In article . com,
wrote:

Is there a special way to shape it up, or do I just take the cutters
and make it into an acceptable shape - something more round than what
it it now? Thank you.

I've found they have their own shape. Tree like aka upright or
sometimes the low folding low secretive forms that begs water and
stones.
I cut when they touch my home. Pruning for your design..... like
pruning a dogwood is not some thing I do. There is a maple outside my
front door that is 18 inches wide and 12 inches tall. This for an
attempt at bonzai 30 years ago. It's parent is 30 feet wide and 18
feet tall ! Wonderful fun like having different children.

Make a few mistakes but keep on.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade 39 38 14.80 N 75 01 11.48 W

John A. Keslick, Jr.[_1_] 10-08-2006 12:21 AM

Shaping the Japanese maple

If you do not desire imposing extra injury to your tree - I highly suggest
reading this book.
And do not use wound dressing.
Once you have read it you will be able to answer your own question.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

You also would be wise to offer the tree other treatments that address their
requirements.
This book would help someone understand many treatments.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!

ups.com...

[email protected] 10-08-2006 02:49 PM

Shaping the Japanese maple

I didnt know anybody "shaped" them. for me at least their beauty is their natural
shape. Ingrid

wrote:

Is there a special way to shape it up, or do I just take the cutters
and make it into an acceptable shape - something more round than what
it it now? Thank you.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com