GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best way to store seeds? Moonflowers not doing well (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148592-best-way-store-seeds-moonflowers-not-doing-well.html)

rosebud19 11-08-2006 12:41 AM

Best way to store seeds? Moonflowers not doing well

I'm starting to collect seeds from the flowers around my area. What is
the best way to store the seeds so they don't mold or go bad?
Also I've been disappointed by a few store bought seed packets. I
bought some MoonFlower Seeds, started them quite early but they've
hardly grown at all. We've had a lot of hot weather lately, although we
had a quite cool spring.
Anyone else have a disappointed season with their Moonflower seeds?
They were Ferry Morse, which is usually a quality brand.
Another problem I seem to be having lately is my Petunia plant that
is potted is dying on me.
I give it enough water so I am not sure what the problem is.
Thanks in advance.

Rosebud

Mark Anderson 11-08-2006 01:09 AM

Best way to store seeds? Moonflowers not doing well

In article says...
I'm starting to collect seeds from the flowers around my area. What is
the best way to store the seeds so they don't mold or go bad?

I use paper bags, paper envelopes, old film canisters, and those plastic
meal containers that I get from ordering from the local Chinese
restaurant.

Also I've been disappointed by a few store bought seed packets. I
bought some MoonFlower Seeds, started them quite early but they've
hardly grown at all. We've had a lot of hot weather lately, although we
had a quite cool spring.
Anyone else have a disappointed season with their Moonflower seeds?

I consistently have problems with Moonflowers and have no idea what
inspires them to grow. I sprouted some early Spring inside in peat moss
and they did well but when I put them outside after the frost they just
didn't want to grow. Sometimes however a Moonflower volunteers will pop
up out of nowhere on its own and thrive hardily. Two years ago I had a
couple of successful Moonflowers and some of their seeds got mixed into
the recycled soil bin. This year I don't think I have any successful
Moonflower vines.