Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Large biodegrade-able pots

Greetings,

I've done a brief internet search and cannot seem to find anything
close to what I'm looking for, so I'm asking for some help locating
biodegradable pots.

I frequent a nursery in Michigan that uses these guys; they are various
sizes and appear to be made from some kind of heavy duty paper mache or
pressed fiber of some kind. These are NOT the dinky little peat pots
used for starting seeds - these guys are heavy duty appearing, but are
very light, wrinkledy surface, and they go into the ground and slowly
decay into hummus. The Michigan nursery uses them for hostas. The
most info I can get from the nursery is they are mail-ordered.

So my dilemma - I have a couple dozen plum or cherry trees living in
one of my raised beds, courtesy of an experiment last year (tossed seed
and skins onto compost bed), and I would like to shift them out before
they get too much larger. The ideal thing would be to pot them up into
these mythic pots and drop them elsewhere on the property. It takes
3-4 years for the pots to go, so I could move them again if needs must.

Does the description of this pot product ring any bells, and if so
please point me in the right direction! Alternatives considered, of
course, but I really do not want to use plastic when I "know" this
other product is out there.. somewhere!

Many thanks!

Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Try this:
Made from coconut fibers
http://www.greeneem.com/neembiopots.htm

and this made from pulp wood:
http://www.westernpulp.com/n-g-index.html

oups.com...

Old 11-08-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

A Google search with 383,000 hits is often just as useless as no
Google search. The original poster has already indicated that he
had "done a brief internet search." The search effort which you
shared was even more brief. About 10 seconds effort to be precise.

-------------------

William Wagner wrote

http://www.google.com/search?q=biodegradable%20pots

Bill

Old 11-08-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

What size pots are you seeking? If you get pots which take
"3-4 years" to decompose, then you'll need to get pots sufficiently
oversized to allow reasonable growth of roots which will be held
captive inside the containers. Plant roots have a fair amount of
difficulty penetrating many "easily degradable" containers.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Gideon" wrote:

A Google search with 383,000 hits is often just as useless as no
Google search. The original poster has already indicated that he
had "done a brief internet search." The search effort which you
shared was even more brief. About 10 seconds effort to be precise.

-------------------

William Wagner wrote

http://www.google.com/search?q=biodegradable%20pots

Bill

Well are you not sweet! First hit http://www.enviroarc.net/

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade 39 38 14.80 N 75 01 11.48 W

Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

If you consider that first link to be highly applicable,
then include it in your original post, rather than the
383,000 hit Google link.

Now, regarding that first hit: What is the probability
that the original poster is from Australia and will want
to mess with your wonderful first lead:
Enviroarc
PO Box 9034
Scoresby, Vic 3179
Australia

The OP stated that he lives in Michigan. Would that be
Michigan, Australia?

Does Enviroarc market in the USA?

Do they market directly to consumers?

Are their products intended for uses such as the OP stated,
or is their design oriented more toward insuring that the items
biodegrade in landfills?

Many question. No answers from you except a vague Google
search result.

-----------------------

William Wagner wrote

Old 11-08-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Gideon" wrote:

If you consider that first link to be highly applicable,
then include it in your original post, rather than the
383,000 hit Google link.

Why should I edit a list info?

Now, regarding that first hit: What is the probability
that the original poster is from Australia and will want
to mess with your wonderful first lead:
Enviroarc
PO Box 9034
Scoresby, Vic 3179
Australia

The OP stated that he lives in Michigan. Would that be
Michigan, Australia?

The Info can be construded as useful for further searching.

Does Enviroarc market in the USA?

Don't know don't care

Do they market directly to consumers?

See above

Are their products intended for uses such as the OP stated,
or is their design oriented more toward insuring that the items
biodegrade in landfills?

Biodegradable is Biodegradable.

Many question. No answers from you except a vague Google
search result.

Many questions with a few leads. Vague...get used to it. I used to do
searching for a living. Premium results require premium expenditure
unless you are lucky. I currently use groker as a front end to goggle
as I no longer have a SCIFINDER account.

Bill
-----------------------

William Wagner wrote

Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 Aug 2006 04:46:43 -0700, "gonzo" wrote:

Greetings,

I've done a brief internet search and cannot seem to find anything
close to what I'm looking for, so I'm asking for some help locating
biodegradable pots.

(...)

If you do a search on commercial horticultural supplies, you will find
leads. I know the guys at www.vintagegardens.com and they are growers
of roses in biodegradable pots. They may have a lead.

If nothing else, call your local arboretum or botanical gardens and
they also may have a source for where you are locally.

If I still managed Woodside, I'd send you a hundred of them!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Well,

I don't know what else to say but thanks. I did see the Australia
company site but lazy me, didn't see what I wanted on the first page
and moved on to other less fruitful leads.

Forgot to say I'm in Iow-ay now, and all the local folks (even Amish)
are using plastic pots. Had to chop my two sycamores out of giant
plastic pots this spring. I'll keep digging, although the pots from

http://www.westernpulp.com/n-g-index.html

look a lot like the ones I'm familiar with, except these are purty'd up
some. They look like pots to set on the deck, not to set in the
ground. But definately the right idea, so thanks much. I'll branch
out some more on the searches!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
"gonzo" wrote:

Well,

I don't know what else to say but thanks. I did see the Australia
company site but lazy me, didn't see what I wanted on the first page
and moved on to other less fruitful leads.

Forgot to say I'm in Iow-ay now, and all the local folks (even Amish)
are using plastic pots. Had to chop my two sycamores out of giant
plastic pots this spring. I'll keep digging, although the pots from

http://www.westernpulp.com/n-g-index.html

look a lot like the ones I'm familiar with, except these are purty'd up
some. They look like pots to set on the deck, not to set in the
ground. But definately the right idea, so thanks much. I'll branch
out some more on the searches!

Perhaps these are of interest?

http://www.fertil.us/fpsizephotosmenu.htm

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade 39 38 14.80 N 75 01 11.48 W

Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
"gonzo" wrote:

Well,

I don't know what else to say but thanks. I did see the Australia
company site but lazy me, didn't see what I wanted on the first page
and moved on to other less fruitful leads.

Forgot to say I'm in Iow-ay now, and all the local folks (even Amish)
are using plastic pots. Had to chop my two sycamores out of giant
plastic pots this spring. I'll keep digging, although the pots from

http://www.westernpulp.com/n-g-index.html

look a lot like the ones I'm familiar with, except these are purty'd up
some. They look like pots to set on the deck, not to set in the
ground. But definately the right idea, so thanks much. I'll branch
out some more on the searches!

Gonzo

You may want to bookmark these.

http://aip.completeplanet.com/aip-en...2Fbrowse%2Fbro
wse.jsp&successPage=%2Fbrowse%2Fbrowse.jsp&errorFl ag=&errorMsg=&event=loa
dPageEvent&directPage=&directSection=4&treeQueryEx pr=&treeQueryType=phras
e&treeQueryTarget=tree

made tiny http://tinyurl.com/5z7k2

http://www.lii.org/

http://www.philb.com/whichengine.htm

Good Luck

Bill !

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade 39 38 14.80 N 75 01 11.48 W
Old 13-08-2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill..

To quote a line of movie dialogue.. BRILLIANT! Looks like these are
them there pots.

Thanks for the search links also, I have for too long relied on the old
google.

Cheers!