Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bay tree - Laurus Nobilis

Hi,

Could anyone with a Bay tree expiereince give me some advice on how
many times I should water my new Bay tree? I'm a novice in gardening
and I just got the tree few hours ago, it is a 5 years old, and about
1.2 feet high and it is in a pot and indoors.

thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards from Finland
Keni

Old 13-08-2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12 Aug 2006 13:39:14 -0700, "Keni" wrote:

Hi,

Could anyone with a Bay tree expiereince give me some advice on how
many times I should water my new Bay tree? I'm a novice in gardening
and I just got the tree few hours ago, it is a 5 years old, and about
1.2 feet high and it is in a pot and indoors.

thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards from Finland
Keni

I have a Bay laurel which is in the ground for six years and it is
well over ten feet tall! I live in Texas, boiling hot all the time
and very little rain in summer months. The tree does not like to be
overwatered. I rarely fertilize it, but it does get top dressed with
compost and mulch. You can do this in a pot also. When I do
fertilize it, I use liquid seaweed, and since it is outdoors I also
use fish emulsion (it stinks).

If I had one growing in a container, as you, I would make sure it is
not root bound in the pot. Pretty soon it will go dormant, especially
since soon it will be mostly dark where you live. If you don't have a
greenhouse, you'll need to supply artificial light. If you don't
supply added light and your bay tree isn't happy, I'm relatively
certain it will go dormant and start to grow again in the spring.

If you are going to make a topiary of it, start shaping it now. They
do not grow fast in containers. In a container the plant cannot
venture its roots for nutrition, so you really should fertilize it
monthly in the growing season. If the leaves turn yellow you are over
watering it and back off.

The size of the container should be no more than two inches larger
than the container it's in now. I hope that all helps.
Old 13-08-2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
[...]

GREAT, thanks a lot for the A1 comments.
BR
Keni
Finland