Old 13-08-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default To Mulch or Not to Mulch

I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them
after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

-----------------
-----------------
Old 13-08-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ron H" wrote in message
I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them
after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

I cast 11 votes for mulch. Don't ask how I came up with 11. :-) But, wait
until the ground freezes.

Old 13-08-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:22:52 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Ron H" wrote in message
I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them
after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

I cast 11 votes for mulch. Don't ask how I came up with 11. :-) But, wait
until the ground freezes.

WHY???

Persephone

(where the ground never freezes)

Old 13-08-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Ron H" wrote in message
I have a nice bed of about 2 dozen foxglove. Should I plan to mulch them
after it freezes or leave them exposed?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

I cast 11 votes for mulch. Don't ask how I came up with 11. :-) But, wait
until the ground freezes.

WHY???

Persephone

(where the ground never freezes)

Where the ground DOES freeze, mulch can keep it from freezing quickly and
completely. That can cause expansion & contraction around plant roots, also
known as heaving. Not good for the plants. Once the ground freezes, you want
it to stay frozen until spring, rather than freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw.

Old 13-08-2006, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Foxglove is a biennial plant and will flower on this years growth.
The plant flowers, throws seed, it germinates and those plantlets stay
over winter in the soil and bloom in spring. The plant which bloomed
this year will be dead. With that in mind, check around for any
germinated seeds on the soil and after the soil freezes, put down some
mulch, but lighty.

Old 13-08-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Well, the bed is almost entirely NEW plants that I hope will bloom next
year. They were started from seed this spring. I am guessing that I need to
much ( as you say LIGHTLY" and get the mulch off early in the spring! Right?

Ron H.

news

Old 13-08-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

No, I would leave the mulch in place in spring and put down more as
you can determine the plants you want to keep and those which are
weeds. Over the season, the mulch will break down and the seeds will
drop again on a thin layer of mulch and germinate, flowering the
following year...that's the cycle.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:42:58 -0500, "Ron H"
wrote:

Well, the bed is almost entirely NEW plants that I hope will bloom next
year. They were started from seed this spring. I am guessing that I need to
much ( as you say LIGHTLY" and get the mulch off early in the spring! Right?

Ron H.

news