Old 15-08-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)

Thank you for all suggestions.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

Old 15-08-2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in
ps.com:

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)

Thank you for all suggestions.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

If you have animals in your yard, you might want to look into the mints.
I used to love it when the animals would brush against all that greenery
-- topped with purple flowers, of course -- and the various smells of
mint would linger in the air for a very long time.

And I'm not sure (someone double check me on this) but isn't Verbena
quite fragrant and shade loving?
Old 16-08-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Patchouli; jasmine; some orchids; allspice bush, there are some geraniums
that are scented also; that's what I can think of off the top of my head!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 16-08-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.

Old 16-08-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Jo Ann" expounded:

There are quite a few fragrant hostas. Here's a starting point:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/fraghosta.html

Honeybells is blooming in my garden as I type. The fragrance is
heavenly!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts