Old 17-08-2006, 08:23 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Default And some people say there's a God..........

In article 1155836539.036156.36400
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com, Pastor Kutchie said...

The current on the down line had to be turned off for
4 hours while tranport police looked for the sitter's
head, which a fox had ran off with.

What ever happened to "finders keepers"?

--
-----------
Brian E. Clark

Old 17-08-2006, 08:37 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Default And some people say there's no God..........

Victor Faraday wrote:
"Dan J.S." wrote in message

My dad, who is a chemical engineer, had a hard time believing in God. Then
he started studying quantum physics, and other complex sciences (he has a
PhD). He has turned extremely religious. Claims there is no way that
'accidents' created the things that he studies - especially things on
atomic levels. As a matter of fact, this is not so uncommon amongst
scientists.

I've got an undergrad degree in physics myself, and I concur. Religion
is not science and never will be. It is far beyond that.

They somehow get a lot more religious the deeper in science they get.

Fantastic design without designer is a harder thing to buy into than
belief in an Almighty alpha and omega. These atheist types are
trying hard to reply in clever & witty ways,

Too bad you wouldn't answer the replies. Again: assuming a designer,
how do you derive Christian theology?

but they remind me
of hayseeds who see priceless works of art as miscellaneous
smearing of paint on a canvas.

Acknowledging paintings as smearings on canvas does not detract from
their beauty.

Old 17-08-2006, 08:39 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

In article , Robibnikoff said...

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size
of a grain of sand, and likely less than a year old,
building something any civil engineer would
show with great pride.

Lovely story

Now, where's the god?

Weren't you reading closely? Try again:

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size
of a grain of

Yahweh wuz here! Rock 'n roll 4ever! 2006

Old 17-08-2006, 08:40 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Dan J.S. wrote:
"Victor Faraday" wrote in message
. ..
Last night just before bed, I looked out over my deck, and there
over the middle of it, was the most magnificent spider web ever
devised, shining in the spotlight. This wonder appeared perfectly
circular and was about the size--and very much resembled-- a
33 rpm phono record, with very precisely placed circular strands
close together with perfect symmetry. I still am not sure how
this little master builder anchored this creation; must've been the hedge
on one side and the chimney on the other, and maybe the deck; but
all this stuff was a good ways off, and the masterpiece was hanging
a good 8 feet over the deck. Another amazing thing is that we had
a heavy rainstorm not 3 hours earlier, so this beauty was designed and
built in less than 3 hours.

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size of a grain of
sand,
and likely less than a year old, building something any civil engineer
would
show with great pride. I got up to pee around 3 a.m., looked out,
and it was already gone.

My dad, who is a chemical engineer, had a hard time believing in God. Then
he started studying quantum physics, and other complex sciences (he has a
PhD). He has turned extremely religious.

Does he follow a specific creed, or does he believe more in something
like Spinoza's god?

Claims there is no way that
'accidents' created the things that he studies - especially things on atomic
levels. As a matter of fact, this is not so uncommon amongst scientists.
They somehow get a lot more religious the deeper in science they get. Very
interesting stuff.

Old 17-08-2006, 08:56 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"Brian E. Clark" wrote in message
.net...
In article , Robibnikoff said...

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size
of a grain of sand, and likely less than a year old,
building something any civil engineer would
show with great pride.

Lovely story

Now, where's the god?

Weren't you reading closely? Try again:

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size
of a grain of

Yahweh wuz here! Rock 'n roll 4ever! 2006

sand, and likely less than a year old, building something
any civil engineer would show with great pride.

Bwahaha!
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Old 17-08-2006, 09:03 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Once upon a time in alt.atheism, dear sweet Victor Faraday
) made the light shine upon us with this:

Fantastic design without designer is a harder thing to buy into than
belief in an Almighty alpha and omega. These atheist types are
trying hard to reply in clever & witty ways, but they remind me
of hayseeds who see priceless works of art as miscellaneous
smearing of paint on a canvas.

One must believe something is a design before he can designate a designer.
Take the human body, for example. Perfect in every way. Or is it? If we
were designed, why did the designer build in a self-destruct module known
as the appendix, which serves no purpose other than to become inflamed and
destroy us? And what can be said of a designer whose design fails during
the critical stage of reproduction? A designer (described by worshipers as
perfect in every way) that allows horrible birth defects to happen is
either a monster, or a figment of your imagination.

--
Uncle Vic
aa Atheist #2011
Old 17-08-2006, 09:46 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

In article Xns982284D935994vicmanˇ.196.97.136 Uncle Vic writes:

[...]

And beyond that, the Intelligent Design enthusiast needs to justify a moral
Designer who creates the various astonishingly clever mechanisms which
allow organisms to inflict endless misery and death on humanity.

Such examples are endless, but my favorite is the trypanosome which causes
malaria. This organism sports a mechanism whereby it continually shuffles
the proteins on its cell surface, thereby causing the human immune system
to be forever one step behind, playing an endless futile game of catch-up.
This amazingly simple and elegant Design feature has caused the death of
countless millions.

As I say, such examples of intricate, elegant, and seemingly malevolent Design
can be multiplied endlessly; parasitology alone provides many more. It's hard
to see any way out of this dilemma for the ID'er. I suppose some possible
justifications might be:

-- the Designer didn't create THOSE bits, subsequent
evolution did.

-- the Designer's evil twin, the Malicious Designer,
got to muck about in the Workshop.

-- humans deserve it, so what's the problem here?

-- the Designer's ways are mysterious indeed.

-- any other suggestions?

-- cary
Old 17-08-2006, 09:47 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:33:33 -0500, "Dan J.S."
wrote:

My dad, who is a chemical engineer, had a hard time believing in God. Then
he started studying quantum physics, and other complex sciences (he has a
PhD). He has turned extremely religious. Claims there is no way that
'accidents' created the things that he studies - especially things on atomic
levels. As a matter of fact, this is not so uncommon amongst scientists.
They somehow get a lot more religious the deeper in science they get. Very
interesting stuff.

I do not mean to offend any Christians, but I am a Buddhist
practitioner and as a Buddhist I do not believe in god. There is no
creator in Buddhism. Everything derives from the last moment of
itself, moment by moment.

If there was a creator, it would be ourselves. Our parents don't
create us, they give us our bodies, but the mind moves in and out of
vessels when the bodies they occupy die. In Buddhism, everybody dies,
but nobody is dead.
Old 17-08-2006, 09:52 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:55:21 -0400, "Victor Faraday"
wrote:

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

My dad, who is a chemical engineer, had a hard time believing in God. Then
he started studying quantum physics, and other complex sciences (he has a
PhD). He has turned extremely religious. Claims there is no way that
'accidents' created the things that he studies - especially things on
atomic levels. As a matter of fact, this is not so uncommon amongst
scientists.

I've got an undergrad degree in physics myself,

From "Patriot University?"

and I concur. Religion
is not science and never will be. It is far beyond that.

Science is based on facts as far as we can know them. Religion is
based on superstition and wishful thinking.

They somehow get a lot more religious the deeper in science they get.

Fantastic design without designer is a harder thing to buy into than
belief in an Almighty alpha and omega.

Your lack of comprehension is not evidence for a god.

These atheist types are
trying hard to reply in clever & witty ways, but they remind me
of hayseeds who see priceless works of art as miscellaneous
smearing of paint on a canvas.

And you remind me of gullible marks who can be fooled into seeing
miscellaneous smearings of paint on canvas (Jackson Pollock, anyone?)
as "priceless works of art."

Idiot.

Old 17-08-2006, 09:54 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

wrote:

I've got an undergrad degree in physics myself, and I concur. Religion
is not science and never will be. It is far beyond that.

Again I will bring up my own religious belief; I am a Buddhist
practitioner in the Gelugpa tradition, Mahayana sect, the Greater
Scope. Much of Buddhism is scientific. You cannot have the first
thing. It's nice to think god created the original chicken, but
atheists do not believe in that.

Fantastic design without designer is a harder thing to buy into than
belief in an Almighty alpha and omega. These atheist types are
trying hard to reply in clever & witty ways, but they remind me
of hayseeds who see priceless works of art as miscellaneous
smearing of paint on a canvas.

It's a harder thing to buy for YOU, but for me it makes perfect sense.
I don't like being called "these atheist types" because I don't go off
saying a harsh word about your beliefs. I assure you, I grew up in
NYC, I am by no stretch of the imagination a hayseed, and I've stood
in the Philadelphia Museum of Art and thought, look at that
miscellaneous smearing of paint on a canvas. It doesn't make me
ignorant to see art the way I see it. It's way too subjective, so
this is just another generalization you are making.

Old 17-08-2006, 09:57 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:11:15 -0700, "Rev. Karl E. Taylor"
wrote:

Then, who designed the designer?

Good question and makes the point that there was no FIRST designer.
Everything comes directly from the previous moment of itself. In
Buddhists terms it's called Mind Stream, or Mental Continuum. It's
pure mind and encompasses everything. WE are the creators of our
world, each of our worlds.
Old 17-08-2006, 10:00 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Once upon a time in alt.atheism, dear sweet Cary Kittrell
) made the light shine upon us with this:

Such examples are endless, but my favorite is the trypanosome which
causes malaria. This organism sports a mechanism whereby it
continually shuffles the proteins on its cell surface, thereby causing
the human immune system to be forever one step behind, playing an
endless futile game of catch-up. This amazingly simple and elegant
Design feature has caused the death of countless millions.

My father had malaria, picked it up in the South Pacific during WW2.
Incurable. He didn't die of it, but he was always cold. He'd wear a thick
sweater in the desert in the summertime. He had to sell our house near the
beach to buy one about 20 miles inland because he couldn't take the cold.
I don't recall ever seeing his bare arms or legs. Some design, eh?

Old 17-08-2006, 11:37 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Then, who designed the designer?

Good question and makes the point that there was no FIRST designer.
Everything comes directly from the previous moment of itself. In
Buddhists terms it's called Mind Stream, or Mental Continuum. It's
pure mind and encompasses everything. WE are the creators of our
world, each of our worlds.

Can you present any evidence that everything comes from the
previous moment of itself?
Can you present any evidence that we are creators of our world(s)?
Aren't you simply saying people imagine everything?

Old 18-08-2006, 12:15 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Once upon a time in alt.atheism, dear sweet Victor Faraday
) made the light shine upon us with this:

You sound like that video with Kirk Cameron and his sidekick explaining
how
bananas were created to perfectly fit into a human hand. LOL. I can name
a few other things that were probably not created to fit into a human
hand,
but nonetheless do.

Was there a companion video demonstrating the cucumber's design
and fit in relation to girls? What a clever old perv that "creator" is!

Old 18-08-2006, 03:37 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

[...]

oh please, that's not evidence of god, but show me a water stain in the
shape of the virgin mary,
or jesus's likeness on a slice of bread, now there's a real honest to
goodness all-powerful sky pixie for you.