Old 17-08-2006, 01:33 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Default And some people say there's no God..........

Last night just before bed, I looked out over my deck, and there
over the middle of it, was the most magnificent spider web ever
devised, shining in the spotlight. This wonder appeared perfectly
circular and was about the size--and very much resembled-- a
33 rpm phono record, with very precisely placed circular strands
close together with perfect symmetry. I still am not sure how
this little master builder anchored this creation; must've been the hedge
on one side and the chimney on the other, and maybe the deck; but
all this stuff was a good ways off, and the masterpiece was hanging
a good 8 feet over the deck. Another amazing thing is that we had
a heavy rainstorm not 3 hours earlier, so this beauty was designed and
built in less than 3 hours.

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size of a grain of sand,
and likely less than a year old, building something any civil engineer would
show with great pride. I got up to pee around 3 a.m., looked out,
and it was already gone.

--
Vic

Old 17-08-2006, 02:13 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Victor Faraday wrote in message

So here we have a creature, with a brain maybe the size of a grain of sand,
and likely less than a year old, building something any civil engineer would
show with great pride.

It is not the equivalent of a civil engineering project though, being much much
simpler. All the spider needs to do is jump back and forth between anchor spots
a few times and then walk around the perimeter with the prior strands to the
same side of it's body.

Very simple rules can create the appearance of complexity, much the way
language and the international monetary system exhibit complexity even though
they have no master designer.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2724

Old 17-08-2006, 02:19 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"Victor Faraday" wrote in
:

[...]

Do you still look for clouds that remind you of various things like birds,
your favorite deity, etc?
Old 17-08-2006, 02:22 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"Victor Faraday" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

OK, please continue. You had a point to make? What you've written so far
describes something I see variations of all the time at my rural home.
Beautiful, interesting, and natural but not magic or supernatural.
So, how *exactly* do you get a god, whatever that is, from a spider and
it's web? Offer something other than warm, fuzzy prose. I like that stuff
and it has it's place, but not as proof of what you suggest it proves.
Rob Brown

Vic

Old 17-08-2006, 02:22 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

[...]

Wonderful, but what does a nice spider web have to do with
some people saying "there's no God"? Do you think spiders somehow
resemble little gods?

Old 17-08-2006, 03:00 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"Victor Faraday" wrote in message
. ..
Last night just before bed, I looked out over my deck, and there

I looked up into the sky and saw a nice cloud.

And some people say there is no Osiris.

--
rb #2187

Old 17-08-2006, 03:18 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Tough Tonto wrote:

[...]

He is making the point that spiders are superbly intelligent
designers, despite their very tiny brains.

Sam Heywood
-- Message handled by Pine, Version 4.62
Old 17-08-2006, 03:44 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:22:06 +0000, Rob Brown wrote:

[...]

It works this way:

1. I saw a spider web.

2. Therefor, god.

--
Mark K. Bilbo
"As hip as it is for outsiders to blame New Orleans

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V180525DC

"Everything New Orleans"
http://www.nola.com
Old 17-08-2006, 03:45 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:00:04 +0000, Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"Victor Faraday" wrote in message
. ..
Last night just before bed, I looked out over my deck, and there

I looked up into the sky and saw a nice cloud.

And some people say there is no Osiris.

I saw lightning and heard thunder. Yet some people say there is no Thor.

Old 17-08-2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

[...]

All I note, which is also the REALITY of the thing, evidence of a spider and
a web.
Obvioiusly this spider, "with a brain maybe the size of a grain of sand" has
one over on you!

Old 17-08-2006, 03:55 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
[...]

.... so the gods have tiny brains?

Old 17-08-2006, 04:33 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Chris H. Fleming wrote:

Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
[...]

... so the gods have tiny brains?

I just knew that some very smart people would draw that conclusion.

Old 17-08-2006, 04:36 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"Mark K. Bilbo" wrote:

[...]

/em smacks forehead

It's all so obvious now! How could I have missed the connection?!
--
Gregory Gadow

Help defend marriage in Washington state!
http://www.wa-doma.org

Old 17-08-2006, 04:38 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens
Les Les is offline

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:18:00 -0400, "Samuel W. Heywood"
wrote:

[...]

That's nothing. Water can create mighty valleys, waterfalls and
deltas. It is around us, it penetrates us and binds the galaxy
together. Let the force be with you. Live long and.. oops sorry
wrong one.

When 'cool' water can make beautiful icicles and mighty glaciers.

When 'hot' it can disappear and just 'float away into clouds'.
Now that's real cool man.

Wonderfully creative yer water is. Yet not one single brain
cell anywhere.

This post was inspired by a thunderstorm that is fast
approaching as I type. It sounds quite agitated too.

Les Hellawell
Greetings from
YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County

Old 17-08-2006, 05:08 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens

"Mark K. Bilbo" wrote in message
[...]

Oooooh....now I understand. That explains everything.
Rob Brown