GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148929-tomatoes.html)

[email protected] 21-08-2006 01:00 AM

tomatoes

I have tomatoes plants of different varieties in the ground and in 5
gal.buckets and they are all cracking on the top of the tomatoe its
self. Can someone help me out with this problem?

Bill R 21-08-2006 01:19 AM

tomatoes

wrote:
I have tomatoes plants of different varieties in the ground and in 5
gal.buckets and they are all cracking on the top of the tomatoe its
self. Can someone help me out with this problem?

What varieties are you growing? Some tend to crack more than others.
Uneven watering can also cause some varieties to crack. And if your
summer has been anything like our summer (very hot!) you can expect a
few to crack.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

[email protected] 21-08-2006 06:21 AM

tomatoes

Check that you are watering them regularly with the same amount of
water each time as this is probably due to irregular watering from
letting them dry out a bit much and then watering them a bit too much
to compensate.

JoeSpareBedroom 22-08-2006 07:23 AM

tomatoes

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have tomatoes plants of different varieties in the ground and in 5
gal.buckets and they are all cracking on the top of the tomatoe its
self. Can someone help me out with this problem?

What the other two people said about extremes of moisture vs dryness is
right. Beside watering regularly and evenly, which involves work, you should
also mulch the plants, which helps minimize rapid drying. If you have not
poisoned your lawn with weed killers & pesticides, and if you mower has a
bagging attachment, you have a free source of excellent mulch.