Old 14-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Andy

Default Is it possible to replant "fully grown" hedges?

We've purchased a house with some type of cedar hedge that was planted
incorrectly (basically not along the property line). The hedge is a
bit sparse in places, and it is about three feet high and not well
maintained.

The neighbor (same one who planted the hedge years ago) want to put in
a fence. We'd like to keep some kind of hedge on our side of the
(likely chain) fence.

Questions:
- can you replant cedar hedges when they're that grown?

- if we were to replace the hedge, how quickly would they grown to
three feet (optimally we want at least six feet, eventually)... what
type of hedge would be best for the new york state area?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-A
Old 14-04-2003, 04:44 PM
animaux

You can dig them and transplant them in the fall. Keep them watered during the
winter when it's dry out and make sure you only use the native soil, do not add
anyting TO the soil in the hole. When you move them, take as much of the root
ball as possible with as much of the soil on the ball and ready the hole ahead
of time. The hole should be jagged, not smooth on the sides. Top dress it with
an inch or so of compost, then apply mulch on top of that and water well. Do
not let mulch or compost come in contact with the trunk or trunks of the shrub.

Old 17-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Bob

"Andy" wrote in message
m...

Questions:
- can you replant cedar hedges when they're that grown?

I had a pyramidalis hedge that was 7-8 feet tall when I bought the house
next door. A friend with a backhoe dug them up and moved them for me. They
all survived and are up to 14 feet tall now.

Bob