Old 26-08-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Organicide info request

I found a product at Home Depot called Organocide, which is 5% sesame oil
and 92% edibal fish oil and 3% lecithin. Supposed to control a wide variety
of insect and diseases. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Old 26-08-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

I found a product at Home Depot called Organocide, which is 5% sesame oil
and 92% edibal fish oil and 3% lecithin. Supposed to control a wide variety
of insect and diseases. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Sounds like stuff I ingest every day. By fish oil I assume you mean
rich in Omega 3.

I think you live under a bridge.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 27-08-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

:

I found a product at Home Depot called Organocide, which is 5% sesame oil
and 92% edibal fish oil and 3% lecithin. Supposed to control a wide
variety
of insect and diseases. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Sounds like stuff I ingest every day. By fish oil I assume you mean
rich in Omega 3.

I think you live under a bridge.

Bill

I know what fish oil is. I know what sesame oil is. I also know what
lecithin is. What I don't know is what experiences others here have had
using this mixture in their garden for insect and disease control. Anyone
else?

Old 27-08-2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

This is going to work by coating the soft bodies of insects -
especially the young - and suffocating them. To the degree that any of
this stuff works, it doesn't just work on the insects you want to get
rid of, but on all insects. It also affects the birds that eat the
insects.

It might be a better idea to ask yourself why you are trying to kill
things in your garden. If you wait and do nothing - and if you garden
organically throughout - the balance will be restored and you won't
have any problems. Or so I have found.

Old 27-08-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 27 Aug 2006 04:39:22 -0700, "Sparky Organic"
wrote:

This is going to work by coating the soft bodies of insects -
especially the young - and suffocating them. To the degree that any of
this stuff works, it doesn't just work on the insects you want to get
rid of, but on all insects. It also affects the birds that eat the
insects.

It might be a better idea to ask yourself why you are trying to kill
things in your garden. If you wait and do nothing - and if you garden
organically throughout - the balance will be restored and you won't
have any problems. Or so I have found.

I have this same experience. Never used a thing in the garden and I
have tons of beneficial insects, snakes, a birds. I do have a bit of
tolerance for some limited damage to my plants and started eliminating
plants which seem to be unhealthy.

Old 27-08-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"Sparky Organic" wrote in message
ps.com...
This is going to work by coating the soft bodies of insects -
especially the young - and suffocating them. To the degree that any of
this stuff works, it doesn't just work on the insects you want to get
rid of, but on all insects. It also affects the birds that eat the
insects.

It might be a better idea to ask yourself why you are trying to kill
things in your garden. If you wait and do nothing - and if you garden
organically throughout - the balance will be restored and you won't
have any problems. Or so I have found.

I got it because it works on powdery mildew. But I don't want to kill any
insects, I have plenty and they don't hurt anything. Since it's contact only
(I hope) I should be OK, I only used it on the leaves of my squash plants.

The only insects I want dead are yellow jackets. We have bee sting allergies
in the family, and the yellow jackets can get a bit obnoxious this time of
year. I have a paper wasp infestation, but they are quite gentle and don't
do any harm (unless you are a slug or some other tasty bug).

Old 27-08-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

It might be a better idea to ask yourself why you are trying to kill
things in your garden. If you wait and do nothing - and if you garden
organically throughout - the balance will be restored and you won't
have any problems. Or so I have found.

I have this same experience. Never used a thing in the garden and I
have tons of beneficial insects, snakes, a birds. I do have a bit of
tolerance for some limited damage to my plants and started eliminating
plants which seem to be unhealthy.

Maybe what I need is a insect friendly recipe for powedery mildew? I'm
loosing my squash and pumpkin plants because it's so bad.

Old 28-08-2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

For other alternatives look at pesticide.org and ergonica.com.

--
Dr. Yucca: A perfect garden is blessed with irregular upsurges of
things that grow, flourish and multiply. Life happens!

Old 28-08-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Maybe what I need is a insect friendly recipe for powedery mildew? I'm
loosing my squash and pumpkin plants because it's so bad.

Maybe bordeaux mix? I don't think it will hurt the insects much. But if
used heavily over a long period the copper may accumulate in soil to a
point where it becomes toxic to the plant. I think sulfur would also be
effective.

Old 28-08-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Maybe what I need is a insect friendly recipe for powedery mildew? I'm
loosing my squash and pumpkin plants because it's so bad.

I had that on my zinnias when I lived in South Carolina. I sprayed
them with a half-and-half mixture of water and 2% milk, no kidding. It
worked very well - I sprayed again after each heavy rain, and presto.

Hope that helps.

Old 28-08-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

I got it because it works on powdery mildew. But I don't want to kill any
insects, I have plenty and they don't hurt anything. Since it's contact only
(I hope) I should be OK, I only used it on the leaves of my squash plants.

It doesn't know what it's contacting, and while it's wet it's toxic. I
don't know how long it persists after it's dry, or how it biodegrades
(if it does). I'd suggest trying the half-and-half water and 2% milk
spray, which seems to work very well on powdery mildew. The other
thing I've heard about is to somehow increase the air circulation
around affected plants, usually by thinning them out and/or removing
surrounding plants which might be holding in moisture.

Old 28-08-2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"Sparky Organic" wrote in message
ps.com...

Maybe what I need is a insect friendly recipe for powedery mildew? I'm
loosing my squash and pumpkin plants because it's so bad.

I had that on my zinnias when I lived in South Carolina. I sprayed
them with a half-and-half mixture of water and 2% milk, no kidding. It
worked very well - I sprayed again after each heavy rain, and presto.

Hope that helps.

I'll try that in a few days after I see how they are doing. I keep hearing
about the milk mixture - can't hurt

Old 28-08-2006, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

snip

Hi,
I've never used Organicide for powdery mildew although it claims to be
effective.
As insecticides go this one is not very toxic to humans or unsprayed
critters and does not require federal EPA labeling. In severe aphid/scale
infestations on valuable plants, Organicide can be very effective. It can
bring the Asian cycad scale under control and scale do not develop
resistance to it. RTL
HTH -_- how
No NEWS is good.

Old 29-08-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sparky Organic wrote:
Maybe what I need is a insect friendly recipe for powedery mildew? I'm
loosing my squash and pumpkin plants because it's so bad.

I had that on my zinnias when I lived in South Carolina. I sprayed
them with a half-and-half mixture of water and 2% milk, no kidding. It
worked very well - I sprayed again after each heavy rain, and presto.

Hope that helps.

Sparky,
I can get raw milk from a local dairy man. How would I mix it with
whole milk?
Thanks for any help.
Doris