GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Elephant foot palm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/149346-elephant-foot-palm.html)

[email protected] 04-09-2006 11:42 AM

Elephant foot palm

My palm's leaves have gone brown!

There are 4 or 5 shoots near the foot.

Can I cut the main trunk down (to what height?) and

will it grow back like a pollarded tree?

Will the shoots grow to a good size?

John

how 07-09-2006 04:14 AM

Elephant foot palm

wrote in message
ups.com...
My palm's leaves have gone brown!
There are 4 or 5 shoots near the foot.
Can I cut the main trunk down (to what height?) and
will it grow back like a pollarded tree?
Will the shoots grow to a good size?
snip

Hi,
Nolina recurvata, aka ponytail palm or elephant foot palm is not a palm but
like palms is a monocot and unable to heal surface wounds. With this in mind
care must be taken when cutting these plants. Wax has been used to seal
wounds on them, I have no experience doing this.
Is this plant in a pot or ground? Is there any softness in the trunk/s? Did
the leaves gradually brown from the tips or just turn brown? If there is no
softness under the area with the brown leaves, I would wait and see what
happens. DO NOT overwater. If this is a potted plant, ponytails are
notorious pot busters so consider that it may be root bound.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good