GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How much mulch will a chipper yield? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/149368-how-much-mulch-will-chipper-yield.html)

[email protected] 05-09-2006 08:09 PM

How much mulch will a chipper yield?

I'm looking to buy/rent a chipper to go through my pile of dead
branches I've collected this year. I'd say I have 20 10-foot untrimmed
branches up to 2 inches thick to feed the monster. How much mulch will
that yield (ballpark)? Will it fill a wheelbarrow?

Thanks,

Peter

Wolf K 05-09-2006 09:17 PM

wrote:
I'm looking to buy/rent a chipper to go through my pile of dead
branches I've collected this year. I'd say I have 20 10-foot untrimmed
branches up to 2 inches thick to feed the monster. How much mulch will
that yield (ballpark)? Will it fill a wheelbarrow?

Thanks,

Peter

Use your high school math (if you can remember that far back :-))

Assume 1.5" average thickness, then volume is pi * 0.75^2 * 120 * 20 --
4239 cubic inches, not counting the untrimmed bits. A cubic foot is 1728
cubic inches. So you have at least 2-1/2 cubic feet before chipping.
Chipping will easily double volume because of air entrainment. How big
is your wheelbarrow?

HTH

[email protected] 05-09-2006 10:06 PM

How much mulch will a chipper yield?

Thanks for your reply. My wheelbarrow is 6 cubic feet. I figure I have
at least as much untrimmed branches still attached that I could
probably fill the wheelbarrow. Doesn't seem to cost effective to rent
as they want $133 for gour hours at the local Home Depot. I can buy a
lot more than 6 cubic feet of mulch for $100.

Peter

Sparky Organic 05-09-2006 10:25 PM

How much mulch will a chipper yield?

"Doesn't seem to cost effective to rent
as they want $133 for gour hours at the local Home Depot. I can buy a
lot more than 6 cubic feet of mulch for $100."

Peter, I'd suggest checking out chipper rental at other locations if
they are available in your area. Although many home chipper/shredders
claim to be able to chop branches that are up to 2" thick, I've never
met one that could. Most of them are very disappointing. But if you
find one that's good, let the rest of us know.

Sparky.

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 05-09-2006 11:03 PM

Wolf K wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking to buy/rent a chipper to go through my pile of dead
branches I've collected this year. I'd say I have 20 10-foot untrimmed
branches up to 2 inches thick to feed the monster. How much mulch will
that yield (ballpark)? Will it fill a wheelbarrow?

Thanks,

Peter

Use your high school math (if you can remember that far back :-))

Assume 1.5" average thickness, then volume is pi * 0.75^2 * 120 * 20 --
4239 cubic inches, not counting the untrimmed bits. A cubic foot is 1728
cubic inches. So you have at least 2-1/2 cubic feet before chipping.
Chipping will easily double volume because of air entrainment. How big
is your wheelbarrow?

HTH

Some cities will take your branhes and trade you chipped mulch I
think. Call around some city offices starting with parks dept. or sanitation

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Sparky Organic 06-09-2006 12:05 PM

How much mulch will a chipper yield?

Some cities will take your branhes and trade you chipped mulch I
think. Call around some city offices starting with parks dept. or sanitation

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but IMO taking other people's
chipped branches is a very bad idea. One never knows what kind of
diseases one is importing, and this mulch is typically fresh, meaning
any virus that was in it is live.

George.com 06-09-2006 08:00 PM

How much mulch will a chipper yield?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your reply. My wheelbarrow is 6 cubic feet. I figure I have
at least as much untrimmed branches still attached that I could
probably fill the wheelbarrow. Doesn't seem to cost effective to rent
as they want $133 for gour hours at the local Home Depot. I can buy a
lot more than 6 cubic feet of mulch for $100.

Peter

If you have a wood fire you use in winter, cut the branches down in size and
use them on the fire. Thats where 1/2 my prunings go.

rob

sylvan butler[_1_] 06-09-2006 10:57 PM

On 5 Sep 2006 14:25:12 -0700, Sparky Organic wrote:
Although many home chipper/shredders
claim to be able to chop branches that are up to 2" thick, I've never
met one that could. Most of them are very disappointing. But if you
find one that's good, let the rest of us know.

If you want to be able to chip 2" branches, get a chipper than claims to
handle 3" or 4". I've got an old troybilt (when they were troybilt)
Super Tomahawk (8hp, 4" spec'd) that does great.

If I was buying today, I'd probably start by looking at Bearcat's
products. They seem most like my old Troybilt, and a lot better built
than most on the market today. http://www.bearcatproducts.com/

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com