Old 09-09-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Too Late to Prune Privet Hedge...

Howdy all. I am tempted to give my privet hedge one last pruning before
fall sets in (zone 5). However, I am concerned about new growth being
exposed to the coming cold.

Should I just wait until late winter/early spring to prune it or do you
think it'd be okay to prune now. It would be a light pruning. Nothing
harsh. Just a gentle shearing.

Any input appreciated.
-Felder

Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy all. I am tempted to give my privet hedge one last pruning before
fall sets in (zone 5). However, I am concerned about new growth being
exposed to the coming cold.

Should I just wait until late winter/early spring to prune it or do you
think it'd be okay to prune now. It would be a light pruning. Nothing
harsh. Just a gentle shearing.

Any input appreciated.
-Felder

You've pretty much described the risk, and if you've lived in the same place
for a few seasons, you know that we could have an obnoxious frost in
mid-September that kills everything, or we could go all the way to late
October with things still growing. Privet is pretty bulletproof. If your
plant's well established, the worst that could happen is you'll have a few
weeks of ugliness in Spring, and another light trim will bring it back in
shape.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy all. I am tempted to give my privet hedge one last pruning before
fall sets in (zone 5). However, I am concerned about new growth being
exposed to the coming cold.

Should I just wait until late winter/early spring to prune it or do you
think it'd be okay to prune now. It would be a light pruning. Nothing
harsh. Just a gentle shearing.

Any input appreciated.
-Felder

I wish that something would kill privet round here. I have cut them to the
ground and put straight glyphosate on the stump and there is a 50.50 chance
they re-shoot the next year.

David