Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default can somebody set me straight about elderberries?

Hello gardeners,

You guys have consistently given me good advice. I'm asking for more
of the same. (Hey, I'd return the favor if I could. But you don't
want my gardening advice. Really. If all gardeners and farmers were
like me, the world would starve.)

I bought and planted an elderberry bush a few months ago. It's growing
great, spreading like a weed, but not fruiting.

QUESTION 1. I have never heard of a fruitless elderberry, and didn't
find that phrase on a web-search. So I'll assume that all elderberry
plants are supposed to bear fruit. What should I do, to encourage my
elderberry plant to fruit? It is all alone, so pollination might be an
issue -- except it has barely flowered this year! Maybe it takes a
year to get established?

QUESTION 2. Some people on this group say that elderberry is
poisonous. (But some stores sell elderberry jelly, etc.)
To quote Martin Tom Brown on this group from 1995:

there is a variety of elderberry in eastern canada that is very poisonous,
and a variety that is actually quite good for you. very few people seem to
know about them.

So my question is: How do I tell whether my elderberry bush is
poisonous, or beneficial, to humans?

THANK YOU FOR ALL REPLIES !!

Ted Shoemaker

[IMG] code is On

Can somebody name this for me? Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 4 29-02-2008 07:39 PM
RPM one set or rules for posters and one set for moderators and a rogue moderator playing his own tune! ~Roy~ Ponds 0 22-03-2007 02:53 AM
Can Somebody Identify This? Fastfwd Plant Science 2 21-08-2005 06:39 PM
can somebody suggest Rasputin Ponds 9 06-01-2004 07:02 PM
Can somebody help me Michael Shaffer Ponds 6 25-06-2003 12:08 AM