GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/149729-photo-week-hops-beer.html)

[email protected] 19-09-2006 01:28 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people
know what it really is or why.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Gerard Eberlein 19-09-2006 06:24 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

wrote in message
oups.com...

Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people
know what it really is or why.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Nice hops, and love your telescope as well...nice place you got there.

Gerard

Cheryl Isaak[_1_] 19-09-2006 10:53 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

On 9/19/06 8:28 AM, in article
, "

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

I've been tempted to grow golden hops as an ornamental several times, but
have yet to buy a vine or two.

Cheryl

Dan Logcher 20-09-2006 12:01 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 9/19/06 8:28 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people
know what it really is or why.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

I've been tempted to grow golden hops as an ornamental several times, but
have yet to buy a vine or two.

Well do it and you can give me the cones to make beer.. I like Cascade, Perle,
and Tetnanger.

Also, I thought hops were used as preservative in beer.

--
Dan

Donna in Idaho[_1_] 20-09-2006 12:15 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Great hop pictures! I worked as office manager for a hop farm here in Idaho
for about 15 years so I'm well aware of what hops are. :-) Even learned to
like the pungent smell of hops when they were harvested. NEVER learned to
like the smell of hop trash (what's left after the cones are shaken off the
vines). In the winter, you did NOT want to follow a truck that was hauling
the hop trash out to spread on the fields.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

oups.com...

2fatbbq 20-09-2006 01:50 AM

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
Great hop pictures! I worked as office manager for a hop farm here in
Idaho for about 15 years so I'm well aware of what hops are. :-) Even
learned to like the pungent smell of hops when they were harvested. NEVER
learned to like the smell of hop trash (what's left after the cones are
shaken off the vines). In the winter, you did NOT want to follow a truck
that was hauling the hop trash out to spread on the fields.
--

worse than rotten spuds???
Buzz--hauled the 'taters

Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

oups.com...

Andy McKellar 20-09-2006 03:18 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Dan Logcher wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 9/19/06 8:28 AM, in article
,
"
wrote:

Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people
know what it really is or why.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

I've been tempted to grow golden hops as an ornamental several times, but
have yet to buy a vine or two.

Well do it and you can give me the cones to make beer.. I like Cascade,
Perle,
and Tetnanger.

Also, I thought hops were used as preservative in beer.

That was one of the original reasons; now it's mostly for flavor.

--
-- Andy McKellar
Dallas, TX

Donna in Idaho[_1_] 20-09-2006 05:16 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

I guess rotten potatoes and rotten fermented hop vines are probably pretty
much equal in the stink category!
--

"2fatbbq" wrote in message

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
Great hop pictures! I worked as office manager for a hop farm here in
Idaho for about 15 years so I'm well aware of what hops are. :-) Even
learned to like the pungent smell of hops when they were harvested.
NEVER learned to like the smell of hop trash (what's left after the cones
are shaken off the vines). In the winter, you did NOT want to follow a
truck that was hauling the hop trash out to spread on the fields.
--

worse than rotten spuds???
Buzz--hauled the 'taters

Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

oups.com...

Wheat 20-09-2006 05:24 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
Great hop pictures! I worked as office manager for a hop farm here in
Idaho for about 15 years so I'm well aware of what hops are. :-) Even
learned to like the pungent smell of hops when they were harvested. NEVER
learned to like the smell of hop trash (what's left after the cones are
shaken off the vines). In the winter, you did NOT want to follow a truck
that was hauling the hop trash out to spread on the fields.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Where in Idaho are the hops grown? I live in Eastern Washington, might be an
interesting trip.

Bill

Donna in Idaho 20-09-2006 05:44 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Where in Idaho are the hops grown? I live in Eastern Washington, might be
an interesting trip.

Bill

Two areas in Idaho - northern Idaho - almost to the Canadian border and the
area around Caldwell, Parma, & Wilder, Idaho (southwest Idaho where I live).
Not nearly as many hops being grown around here any more. The farm I worked
for got completely out of the hop business a year after I retired and others
have cut back on their acreage. Hops are terribly expensive to grow with
lots of hand labor required and not as much money in them as there used to
be.

notbob 20-09-2006 09:55 AM

On 2006-09-20, Donna in Idaho wrote:

lots of hand labor required and not as much money in them as there used to
be.

Is that the reason hops completely disappeared from CA?

nb ....3 summers on a Sacramento hops farm

Cheryl Isaak[_1_] 20-09-2006 11:41 AM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

On 9/19/06 7:01 PM, in article
, "Dan Logcher"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 9/19/06 8:28 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people
know what it really is or why.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

I've been tempted to grow golden hops as an ornamental several times, but
have yet to buy a vine or two.

Well do it and you can give me the cones to make beer.. I like Cascade,
Perle,
and Tetnanger.

Also, I thought hops were used as preservative in beer.

Will do Dan!

Puester 20-09-2006 05:55 PM

wrote:
Most folks know that hops is used in beer but brewers aside, few people
know what it really is or why.

js

--

Very nice photo. I first saw hops growing when we visited the historic
Strawberry Banke village in New Hampshire. They were being used as a

My son-in-law is growing a few selected varieties for home beer brewing
that he ordered from someplace in Oregon. In their second year, the
vines are quite pretty and there is enough "fruit" to harvest.

gloria p

Donna in Idaho 20-09-2006 06:49 PM

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hops and Beer

Not sure. When I first started working for the hop farm (1983) I think hop
growing in California had already disappeared. If not then, soon after.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

. ..

notbob 20-09-2006 07:14 PM

On 2006-09-20, Donna in Idaho wrote:
Not sure. When I first started working for the hop farm (1983) I think hop
growing in California had already disappeared. If not then, soon after.

Isn't the internet great? Film of early hops farming around Sacrament:

http://www.sacramentohistory.org/films_hopfarm.html#

nb