GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need help identifying this tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/149751-need-help-identifying-tree.html)

Deuteros 20-09-2006 02:30 PM

Need help identifying this tree

My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off his
hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has any idea
as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the leaves, trunk, and
a crossection of the trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

scfundogs 20-09-2006 05:26 PM

"Deuteros" wrote in message
My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off
his
hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has any
idea
as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the leaves, trunk,
and
a crossection of the trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

The pics remind me of the white dogwood we just took down but I'm certainly
no tree aficionado.

--
Tara

Locutus 20-09-2006 05:35 PM

"Deuteros" wrote in message
My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off
his
hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has any
idea
as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the leaves, trunk,
and
a crossection of the trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

Might also want to post this to sci.bio.botany

Would also help if we knew what part of the world you are from.

Bob Weinberger 20-09-2006 06:40 PM

"Deuteros" wrote in message
My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off
his
hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has any
idea
as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the leaves, trunk,
and
a crossection of the trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

Tough to tell without a closer look at the leaves, but it appears to be
some sort of cherry.

monique 20-09-2006 07:02 PM

Need help identifying this tree

Looks as if it might be a Prunus (cherry.)

M. Reed

Deuteros wrote:
"Locutus" wrote in
:

"Deuteros" wrote in message

My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off
his hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has
any idea as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the
leaves, trunk, and a crossection of the trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

Might also want to post this to sci.bio.botany

Would also help if we knew what part of the world you are from.

Sorry about that. I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Crossposted to sci.bio.botany.

mhagen 20-09-2006 07:11 PM

monique wrote:
Looks as if it might be a Prunus (cherry.)

M. Reed

Deuteros wrote:
"Locutus" wrote in
:

"Deuteros" wrote in message

My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off
his hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has
any idea as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the
leaves, trunk, and a crossection of the trunk.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

Might also want to post this to sci.bio.botany

Would also help if we knew what part of the world you are from.

Sorry about that. I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Crossposted to sci.bio.botany.

I can't tell from the photo -- are there very small red "glands" at the
base of the leaf stems? That would be the confirmation of it being a
Cherry species.

dadiOH 20-09-2006 07:15 PM

Deuteros wrote:
My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it
off his hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither
of us has any idea as to what kind of tree it is. I took some
pictures of the leaves, trunk, and a crossection of the trunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

The leaf looks a lot like beech but the wood - the heart wood -
doesn't look like the beech I remember.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

charlie b 20-09-2006 08:01 PM

Need help identifying this tree

There's a site out there that takes you through
a set of criteria - bark type, leaf type, tree shape
etc., with pictures of types to choose from. Based
on your choices it will provide the latin and common
name(s) of a tree or trees that meet your selected
criteria, as well as info about the characteristics of
the tree(s) and photos of that type of tree or trees.

do a google search on "tree identification" and you
should find the site.

charlie b

Raphanus 20-09-2006 09:23 PM

Need help identifying this tree

Prunus serotina - "Black cherry" - is common here in Aiken, SC, not far
from you. Do you remember anything about its flowers or fruit?

mhagen wrote:
monique wrote:
Looks as if it might be a Prunus (cherry.)

M. Reed

Deuteros wrote:
"Locutus" wrote in
: