GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Concord grapes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/149841-concord-grapes.html)

THURSTON ACKERMAN 24-09-2006 01:06 PM

Concord grapes

FamilyNet International Newsgate

My concard grape arbor is produceing much leaf growth,
but very very few grapes

I cut back rather heavily last year on previous advice
that would prompt more fruiting but 8-(

The original planting was about 10 yearsago.

How can we manage to produce the fruit we used to please?

Stay young, OldAck

---
þ SLMR 2.1a þ I'm in shape ... round's a shape isn't it?

FamilyNet Internet Gated Mail
http://www.familynet-international.org

Hal[_1_] 24-09-2006 02:38 PM

Concord grapes

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:06:05 GMT, "THURSTON ACKERMAN"
wrote:

My concard grape arbor is produceing much leaf growth,
but very very few grapes

Probably needs more phosphates. Nitrates the first number in a
fertilizer produces lots of green. That is why lawn fertilizers have
a higher first number, but fruits and flowers like a higher middle
number which is for phosphorus. I like a high middle number like
tomato stakes 6-12-6 for flowering plants. I can't always get an
exact 1-2-1 type, but have to settle for something close depending on
the quantity and type I need. The third number in fertilizer is
potash/potassium and plants need a little of that to properly utilize
the other two. I've heard tell that old pecan orchards have been
restored to produce again by the addition of potash.

Regards,

Hal

[email protected] 25-09-2006 03:55 AM

Concord grapes

this year leave the vines until spring, then select vines that are pencil thick going
3-4 feet in both directions "arms" (or 2 sets, one on the upper fence, one lower
down) and leave a vine coming off that every foot (the fingers). cut that last vine
to about 3-5 buds.
I use the curtain system. my thick heavy standard goes up to 8', the 2 arms go out
about 3 feet and the vines come off that, hanging down. very productive. every
other year or so I select new "arms". Ingrid

"THURSTON ACKERMAN" wrote:

FamilyNet International Newsgate

My concard grape arbor is produceing much leaf growth,
but very very few grapes

I cut back rather heavily last year on previous advice
that would prompt more fruiting but 8-(

The original planting was about 10 yearsago.

How can we manage to produce the fruit we used to please?

Stay young, OldAck

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com