Old 25-09-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Agway fertilizer and Scotts broadcast spreader - what setting???

I bought a big bag of Agway Organic lawn fertilizer and bought a Scotts
Standard Broadcast Spreader. On the back of the bag they list the
settings for every brand of spreader except Scotts. Does anyone know
how I can find out the proper setting for this fertilizer using the
Scotts spreader?

Old 25-09-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a big bag of Agway Organic lawn fertilizer and bought a Scotts
Standard Broadcast Spreader. On the back of the bag they list the
settings for every brand of spreader except Scotts. Does anyone know
how I can find out the proper setting for this fertilizer using the
Scotts spreader?

Usually the settings are 1-5, find a listing for a similar type spreader on
the bag, and match it up to what % opening the spreader is. Then match that
up with your spreader.

It's not an exact science. Even with the same setting 2 different people
will get 2 different coverage rates, based on the speed at which they walk.
I usually start with the smallest or second smallest setting, then see if it
works for me, no matter what the bag recommends.

-S

Old 25-09-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, another thing that I've been reading online is that this Scotts
spreader doesn't have a hole big enough to accomodate some lime pellet
products. I probably won't be using any Scotts products, would I be
better off bringing this one back and buying a generic spreader? Is
Scotts the "Betamax" of lawn care products? Do they make it so if you
buy their spreader you need to buy their products as well?

Snooze wrote:
oups.com...

Old 26-09-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, another thing that I've been reading online is that this Scotts
spreader doesn't have a hole big enough to accomodate some lime pellet
products. I probably won't be using any Scotts products, would I be
better off bringing this one back and buying a generic spreader? Is
Scotts the "Betamax" of lawn care products? Do they make it so if you
buy their spreader you need to buy their products as well?

Scotts spreaders are designed to evenly spread uniformly sized fertilizer
granules, if you're going to use a product with larger pellets, I can see
the pellets getting clogged in the hopper or not coming out at the ideal
rate.

Most big box stores have a fairly liberal return policy, try it out, if the
flow rate is weak, just make 2 passes. If it gets clogged, return it for
something with a larger orifice.

-S

Old 26-09-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

1) Try contacting Agway to see what setting they recommend.

2) Return the fertilizer and buy some Scotts fertilizer. It is pretty
reasonably priced in large bags at Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's,
etc.

It is extremely difficult to go wrong with both Scotts fertilizer and
a good Scotts spreader. Don't buy any Scotts fertilizer which has
been manufactured to be sold under some second party's (retailer's)
house label. Those are often inferior non-complex fertilizers similar
to the bargain brands. Much more preferable are the fertilizers which
are uniformly blended before the prilling process, producing those nice
uniform pellets of fertilizer. The multi-sized, multi-colored prills of the
less expensive bags generally do not get spread as uniformly as the
blended prills.

To the best of my knowledge, Scotts standard lines of fertilizers
are always uniformly blended prills. Their secondary market of
house brand fertilizers aren't. When you observe a bag of fertilizer
which has multi-sized prills and/or multi-colored prills, you are
observing a product which was manufactured cheaply.

Scotts appears to have done consider R&D in determining how to
produce fertilizers which spread uniformly, release slowly, and
release uniformly. Which is why they have that famous "no quibble"
guarantee.

Also, Scotts (and their Ortho division) have pretty good toll-free
telephone support and advise. My only complain in that area is
the fact that some customer support folks are obvious not super
astute and are reading from scripts, checking manuals, or doing
computer searches to answer questions for which they have little
knowledge base. That's when I hang up and try another day, hoping
to get one of the more experienced staff who really knows his stuff.

I have no connect with Scotts and I'm not shilling for them. I'm
just passing on my observations and learning experience from decades
of trying various products and ultimately deciding upon Scotts. I got
tired of trying less expensive products which didn't perform well. Or
products for which I had to guess spreader settings.

If you are fertilizing a lawn yourself, then you are saving a tremendous
amount of money versus having a lawn service do the fertilizing. When
you are saving a few hundred dollars, why try to cheap out and save
an extra few bucks buying the bargain products?

Now, if only Scotts could start once again producing a broadleaf weed killer
which works well. I'm no longer pleased with the their weedkillers
under either their Scotts label or their Ortho label.

Gideon

Old 26-09-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Gideon" wrote in message

[snip]

It is extremely difficult to go wrong with both Scotts fertilizer and
a good Scotts spreader. Don't buy any Scotts fertilizer which has
been manufactured to be sold under some second party's (retailer's)
house label.

Except see, the fertilizer the original poster was attempting to use
organic, rather then synthetic.
If the original poster had asked, "how do i use scotts fertilizer in a
scott's spreader" then you're post would be useful, except then the answer
would be painfully obvious.

-S

Old 26-09-2006, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Gideon" expounded:

It is extremely difficult to go wrong with both Scotts fertilizer and
a good Scotts spreader.

Except the OP is using an organic fertilizer. I won't use anything
but Espoma Organic lawn food, no more excessive growth and I have a
wonderfully strong, green lawn with two applications a year.

I use the 7 setting on my Scotts Acccugreen drop spreader, but the OP
really should contact Agway for the proper setting.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 29-09-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Except the OP is using an organic fertilizer. I won't use anything
but Espoma Organic lawn food, no more excessive growth and I have a
wonderfully strong, green lawn with two applications a year.

==========

Yes. So please note the very first piece of advice that I offered to
the original poster:

1) Try contacting Agway to see what setting they recommend.

If the original poster is 100% convinced that the world as we know
it will end if anything other than organic fertilizer is used, then he is
free to ignore much of the rest of my post. But, I have "converted"
many folks to switch from organic to the much more reliable and
easy Scotts. Ground water is still fine, the children don't have extra
extremities, the wildlife is thriving fine, and the predicted end of the
world hasn't arrived.

Old 30-09-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Gideon" expounded:

If the original poster is 100% convinced that the world as we know
it will end if anything other than organic fertilizer is used, then he is
free to ignore much of the rest of my post. But, I have "converted"
many folks to switch from organic to the much more reliable and
easy Scotts. Ground water is still fine, the children don't have extra
extremities, the wildlife is thriving fine, and the predicted end of the
world hasn't arrived.

And I have converted many more to organic, because of the lack of
growth spurt (and all the subsequent mowing), the wonderful green and
abundant root growth provided by the totally reliable organic
fertilizer I use only twice a year, no four-step program necessary.
All that wonderful grass growth without the chemicals to worry about
at all. Why switch to Scotts? Oh, that's right, we're growing
sharholders here, not grass.

You rather remind me of John Riley from Oz who was an ardent defender
of anything chemical.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote

You rather remind me of John Riley from Oz who was
an ardent defender of anything chemical.

Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

=================

You remind me of millions of people with grade school level
science knowledge who don't realize that our entire planet is
"chemical."

Gideon, sentient in Zone 1a

Old 06-10-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann ranted:

And I have converted many more to organic, because of the lack of
growth spurt (and all the subsequent mowing), the wonderful green and
abundant root growth provided by the totally reliable organic
fertilizer I use only twice a year, no four-step program necessary.
All that wonderful grass growth without the chemicals to worry about
at all. Why switch to Scotts? Oh, that's right, we're growing
sharholders here, not grass.

You rather remind me of John Riley from Oz who was an ardent defender
of anything chemical.

===============

Opinionated much, Ann?

If you are getting big growth spurts with Scotts fertilizer and a well
calibrated Scotts spreader, then you aren't very astute. I currently
use Scotts twice per year and I am extremely happy with the cost
and the results. If you don't like it, then fine. One of the advantages
of living in the Free World is the fact that we are pretty much free
to do as we please, and we are free to offer more than one solution
to a question. Which I did. Which you don't.

You can't get good results with Scotts? Maybe you aren't quite as
bright as you think you are.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Gideon" expounded:

Opinionated much, Ann?

Oh, and you're not? Not insulting either, are you. Whatever. Stew
in your chemical soup.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

thanks

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...tin-56651-.htm

Old 08-10-2020, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

I Joe I have a Agway broadcast spreader and I would like to know the settings for Scotts Triple Action 16 0 1 4000 sq. ft if possible. Thanks Mike

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...tin-56651-.htm