Old 18-02-2003, 08:15 PM
manish mukherjee

Default strange mushroom on my money tree

hi all,

(i'm a plant newbie, so pardon me if this is a silly question!)

i've got a beautiful money tree growing in a pot. i put three small
gargoyle statues onto the dirt in the pot. all of a sudden two months
later, this large bright yellow mushroom sprouted up directly beneath
one of them, touching the base of the money tree. and beneath
another, there isn't quite a mushroom yet, but there is a lot of
similarly colored fungusy looking stuff.

do i need to worry about this, or are mushrooms on plants okay? i
kind of like the way it looks, so if it won't harm anything, i'd love
to keep it.

thanks!

mkm
Old 20-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Tracey

These are fairly common mushrooms that pop up in
various indoor plantings, as well as outdoors in
some temperate areas.

I had a couple (okay, about 10!) of those bright yellow
mushrooms pop up in one of my pots here on the Windward
side of Oahu. I thought it was from overwatering and cut
back on the watering for a while until they died. It
wouldn't have hurt to let them grow? The plant was doing
okay and wasn't showing signs of overwatering, other than
the mushrooms.

Tracey

Old 21-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Cereoid+10

Not so.

Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of certain fungi and there are many fungi
that are the cause of plant diseases.

Lynne wrote in message
Mushrooms don't hurt anything, per se, it's that sometimes the conditions
that favor their growth are to the detriment of the plant's health. Anyway
if your plant is healthy to begin with you have far less to fear from any
bacteria or fungi. Unless you grow yours in some kind of controlled

sterile
conditions, these will always be there.