Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 18-02-2003, 09:15 PM
manish mukherjee
 
Posts: n/a
Default strange mushroom on my money tree

hi all,

(i'm a plant newbie, so pardon me if this is a silly question!)

i've got a beautiful money tree growing in a pot. i put three small
gargoyle statues onto the dirt in the pot. all of a sudden two months
later, this large bright yellow mushroom sprouted up directly beneath
one of them, touching the base of the money tree. and beneath
another, there isn't quite a mushroom yet, but there is a lot of
similarly colored fungusy looking stuff.

do i need to worry about this, or are mushrooms on plants okay? i
kind of like the way it looks, so if it won't harm anything, i'd love
to keep it.

thanks!

mkm

  #2   Report Post  
Old 20-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Default strange mushroom on my money tree

These are fairly common mushrooms that pop up in
various indoor plantings, as well as outdoors in
some temperate areas.


I had a couple (okay, about 10!) of those bright yellow
mushrooms pop up in one of my pots here on the Windward
side of Oahu. I thought it was from overwatering and cut
back on the watering for a while until they died. It
wouldn't have hurt to let them grow? The plant was doing
okay and wasn't showing signs of overwatering, other than
the mushrooms.

Tracey

  #3   Report Post  
Old 21-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Cereoid+10
 
Posts: n/a
Default strange mushroom on my money tree

Not so.

Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of certain fungi and there are many fungi
that are the cause of plant diseases.


Lynne wrote in message
...
Mushrooms don't hurt anything, per se, it's that sometimes the conditions
that favor their growth are to the detriment of the plant's health. Anyway
if your plant is healthy to begin with you have far less to fear from any
bacteria or fungi. Unless you grow yours in some kind of controlled

sterile
conditions, these will always be there.

"Tracey" wrote in message
...

I had a couple (okay, about 10!) of those bright yellow
mushrooms pop up in one of my pots here on the Windward
side of Oahu. I thought it was from overwatering and cut
back on the watering for a while until they died. It
wouldn't have hurt to let them grow? The plant was doing
okay and wasn't showing signs of overwatering, other than
the mushrooms.

Tracey








Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 11:02 PM
Diseased money tree and is it a money tree? Cynthia Australia 3 27-10-2006 06:55 AM
strange mushroom ID? J. Fleming North Carolina 3 01-05-2003 06:33 PM
strange mushroom on my money tree - what finally happened manish mukherjee Gardening 0 11-03-2003 11:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017