GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Magnolia question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/149950-magnolia-question.html)

BeeCee 28-09-2006 04:42 PM

Magnolia question

What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215/

The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this
structure.

BeeCee

David E. Ross 29-09-2006 12:34 AM

Magnolia question

BeeCee wrote:
What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215/

The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this
structure.

BeeCee

That's the fruit (not edible). When it matures, the scales will spread.
Seeds will be inside.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Karl L. Wuensch 01-10-2006 06:28 AM

Magnolia question

news:-q6dnTkBZK_9cIbYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@wtccommunications. ca...

Brian and Michelle 01-10-2006 12:53 PM

Magnolia question

I Live in Wisconsin, I just stared growing one of these from

[email protected] 02-10-2006 04:05 PM

Magnolia question

It's hard to know if this was a serious question but here goes. The photograph
shows the fruit of a Magnolia. In botanical terminology the fruit is an
aggrregate of follicles. Each follicle may contain a seed but often only a few
have seeds. In your photo there appear to be two seeds at the outermost end of
the fruit.