Old 30-09-2006, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bromeliads get ragged after bloom

I have them all over the garden; have moved them; have taken "pups"
to plant elsewhere. They seem to do well --for a while. Then the
leaves get ragged-looking after the flower fades. Is this normal? Or
should the same plant bloom again later?

I will post a picture if need be, but meantime have found this site:

http://www.bromeliads.co.nz/lightshade.html

that has a plant much like mine. It is Aechmea Fasciata "Morgana".

Can anybody comment on whether I should pull up the ragged-looking
ones -- or will they bloom again?

Thanks.

Persephone
Old 30-09-2006, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message
I have them all over the garden; have moved them; have taken

"pups"
to plant elsewhere. They seem to do well --for a while. Then the
leaves get ragged-looking after the flower fades. Is this normal?

Or
should the same plant bloom again later?

I will post a picture if need be, but meantime have found this site:

http://www.bromeliads.co.nz/lightshade.html

that has a plant much like mine. It is Aechmea Fasciata "Morgana".

Can anybody comment on whether I should pull up the ragged-looking
ones -- or will they bloom again?

I don't know specifically about that type of Brom but the ones I have
are all reported to die after flowering although they may produce pups
for a few years after flowering and before they die.

Old 30-09-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:
I have them all over the garden; have moved them; have taken "pups"
to plant elsewhere. They seem to do well --for a while. Then the
leaves get ragged-looking after the flower fades. Is this normal? Or
should the same plant bloom again later?

I will post a picture if need be, but meantime have found this site:

http://www.bromeliads.co.nz/lightshade.html

that has a plant much like mine. It is Aechmea Fasciata "Morgana".

Can anybody comment on whether I should pull up the ragged-looking
ones -- or will they bloom again?

Thanks.

Persephone

From what I have read, my Guzmania -- having bloomed -- will eventually
die. Although I removed the spent flower stalk about 6 months ago, the
plant is still quite green. It already has a significant offset that
should survive to replace its parent.

This life-cycle is common with many monocots -- bromeliads, yuccas,
agaves, bulbs, corms, etc. They flower and die, but produce new plants
vegetatively before dying.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Ragged Roses Gail Futoran Roses 5 27-07-2006 02:22 PM
bromeliads - info links tennis maynard Orchids 0 22-09-2003 08:42 PM
Bromeliads - Pineapples Lambert Plant Science 26 28-04-2003 03:44 PM
Daylilies With Ragged Foliage Fleemo Gardening 6 05-04-2003 08:08 PM
beginner questions about bromeliads Ted Shoemaker Gardening 1 23-02-2003 06:15 PM