Old 06-10-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Norfolk Island Pine

I life in the Boston Area. I have a Norfolk Island Pine tree that my
wife gave me 30 years ago. It is getting too tall for my house. It is
now about 5 ft tall. I keep it on my porch in the summer and the
basement in winter. I'm not sure what to do with this plant when it
gets too tall to move around and too tall for my house.
Any sugesstions? I don't wnat to get rid of it.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

mstrspy wrote:

I life in the Boston Area. I have a Norfolk Island Pine tree that my
wife gave me 30 years ago. It is getting too tall for my house. It is
now about 5 ft tall. I keep it on my porch in the summer and the
basement in winter. I'm not sure what to do with this plant when it
gets too tall to move around and too tall for my house.
Any sugesstions? I don't wnat to get rid of it.

wow, maybe your doctor or dentist or company would like it for the
waiting area. maybe your Church would like it. Then at least you'd get
to see it occasionally.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 06-10-2006, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
m...
mstrspy wrote:

I life in the Boston Area. I have a Norfolk Island Pine tree that my
wife gave me 30 years ago. It is getting too tall for my house. It is
now about 5 ft tall. I keep it on my porch in the summer and the
basement in winter. I'm not sure what to do with this plant when it
gets too tall to move around and too tall for my house.
Any sugesstions? I don't wnat to get rid of it. M

wow, maybe your doctor or dentist or company would like it for the
waiting area. maybe your Church would like it. Then at least you'd get to
see it occasionally.

Carl

.....or a hospital with a big lobby, and plenty of sun.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I life in the Boston Area. I have a Norfolk Island Pine tree that my
wife gave me 30 years ago. It is getting too tall for my house. It is
now about 5 ft tall. I keep it on my porch in the summer and the
basement in winter. I'm not sure what to do with this plant when it
gets too tall to move around and too tall for my house.
Any sugesstions? I don't wnat to get rid of it.

I am astounded that it is still so small, it must be quite bonsaied. I had
one in a tub that grew to 10 ft in 5 years and I had to give it away. They
grow to 100ft in the wild.

David

Old 06-10-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I life in the Boston Area. I have a Norfolk Island Pine tree that my
wife gave me 30 years ago. It is getting too tall for my house. It is
now about 5 ft tall. I keep it on my porch in the summer and the
basement in winter. I'm not sure what to do with this plant when it
gets too tall to move around and too tall for my house.
Any sugesstions? I don't wnat to get rid of it.

Hi,
Araucaria heterophylla, aka Norfolk Island Pine can be air layered or even
grown from a terminal cutting. If successful you'd have two smaller ones, if
not one smaller one. It is a slow process and a basement in Boston probably
is not the spot to try it, wait till spring.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 06-10-2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

mstrspy wrote:
I life in the Boston Area. I have a Norfolk Island Pine tree that my
wife gave me 30 years ago. It is getting too tall for my house. It is
now about 5 ft tall. I keep it on my porch in the summer and the
basement in winter. I'm not sure what to do with this plant when it
gets too tall to move around and too tall for my house.
Any sugesstions? I don't wnat to get rid of it.

Me too. I learned late that they can be topped. Still a spindly 6 ft.
mess.
One of these days, I'll talk wife into tossing. They are not
endangered species
Frank

Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'm lost hre. What is "air layered" mean. Do I ct off the top and try
to root it?

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 07:41:36 -0400, "how"
wrote:

.. .

Old 07-10-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I'm lost hre. What is "air layered" mean. Do I ct off the top and try
to root it?

In brief, you make a cut in the thick stem of an overgrown house plant at
the spot where you want the new "bottom" (roots) of the plant to be. You
wrap the cut area with sphagnum moss, moisten it, and then enclose the area
with plastic wrap until roots grow. I don't recall if you use rooting
hormone with some plants. Go to Google and search for "air layering norfolk
island pine" - you'll get plenty of results.

[IMG] code is On

Norfolk Island Pine United Kingdom 11 24-05-2006 07:02 PM
Norfolk Island Pine Tuletess Gardening 3 03-02-2004 01:03 AM
[IBC] Norfolk Island Pine help Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 07-10-2003 02:07 AM
Norfolk Island Pine help Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 06-10-2003 08:02 PM
norfolk island pine ernest jones United Kingdom 0 17-10-2002 09:52 PM