Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is "air drainage" ?

In looking at a few gardening pages, I've seen that some plants
need spots with good "air drainage".
I've never heard this term before, what does it mean?
Thanks!

Amy

Old 08-10-2006, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 02:41:43 -0400, "amyky123"
wrote:

In looking at a few gardening pages, I've seen that some plants
need spots with good "air drainage".
I've never heard this term before, what does it mean?
Thanks!

Amy

cold air will move down slope. If you are on a hill where the cold
air can drain off, then your air temperatures will be a bit warmer.
If you are at the bottom of a slope, or if there is some structure
that blocks air flow, then cold air can accumulate there, plants will
get a bit colder. Good or bad, depends on what plants you have and
what the climate is like.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

In looking at a few gardening pages, I've seen that some plants
need spots with good "air drainage".
I've never heard this term before, what does it mean?
Thanks!

Amy

cold air will move down slope. If you are on a hill where the cold
air can drain off, then your air temperatures will be a bit warmer.
If you are at the bottom of a slope, or if there is some structure
that blocks air flow, then cold air can accumulate there, plants will
get a bit colder. Good or bad, depends on what plants you have and
what the climate is like.

Ahh. Got it, I think. Thanks, I'm very new to gardening.. there's a lot to
consider!

Amy

Old 09-10-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

amyky123 wrote:
In looking at a few gardening pages, I've seen that some plants
need spots with good "air drainage".
I've never heard this term before, what does it mean?
Thanks!

Amy

My house sits on a slope. The front faces the street and another street
comes down the hill toward my driveway. The back yard continues on down
the hill.
A week ago Saturday, we had to leave home at 8 AM. It took some minutes
of scraping and running the defroster to get all the frost off the
windshield of the car. While my son finished that job, I walked around
back to the garden. The pumpkin and tomato leaves were completely
undamaged.
My garden has excellent air drainage.
My driveway has poor air drainage. Cold air comes down that other street
and is dammed up by the house.

Steve

By the way, we had to go away this past Saturday as well. The forecast
had been for 17 degrees. Friday night they changed it to 19 degrees.
Saturday morning we got up to heavy fog and 34 degrees. Only water on
the windshield.