Old 09-10-2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
JW JW is offline

Default Caladium help!

So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I
don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some.
Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some
to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally
confused! Thank you!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JW" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I
don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some.
Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some
to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally
confused! Thank you!

Confused in what way? What do you want to know about them?

Old 09-10-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

JW wrote:
So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I
don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some.
Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some
to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally
confused! Thank you!

Caladiums are really tropical bulbs and require lots of sun and warm
weather. If she plans on growing them outside they will likely survive
but she needs to know that they may rot if the ground is too cool and/or
too wet.

As for sending them to the UK, you did not mention where you are. There
may be some restrictions on shipping them into the UK and it is best to
check before you buy them. There should be dealers in the UK that will
ship them directly to her.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 09-10-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
"JW" wrote:

So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I
don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some.
Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some
to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally
confused! Thank you!

I treat them like annuals. Pricey but they bring light to my hosta
groupings.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade Beware Of THINK LIKE THIS
Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
weather. If she plans on growing them outside they will likely survive
but she needs to know that they may rot if the ground is too cool and/or
too wet.

But can make a nice water garden plant..have some totally under water in
a pond setting.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

Old 11-10-2006, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JW" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I
don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some.
Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some
to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally
confused! Thank you!

These are tropical/subtropical plants. They need warmth and humidity. A
normal house is too dry and probably too cool (assuming the light is
adequate) so it looks like a hothouse of some kind will be required. Unless
granny is petty knowledgable and prepared to do what is required I don't
like your chances of bringing her great joy. If it is too cold/dry they
will die or look like crap.

David

Old 14-10-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JW" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, my grandmother would like to plant caladium, but lives in the UK. I
don't know anything about these bulbs, but would like to buy her some.
Is there a winter variety, or should I wait until spring to send some
to her? I have gone online and looked at some and am now totally
confused! Thank you!

I'm not in the UK but do know they'll die if the tuber freezes. I wait
until frost nips the tops. I snip off the dead foliage and being them in for
the winter. They're kept in a cool room until spring.

[IMG] code is On

Caladium Help ? Steve Coyle Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Caladium bulbs wanted Noela Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Caladium bulbs jammer Gardening 7 29-03-2003 06:32 AM
Caladium Help ? Steve Coyle Texas 2 20-03-2003 02:56 PM
Caladium bulbs wanted Noela Australia 2 05-03-2003 01:51 AM