Old 11-10-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please Help...Grub Infestation

Hey All,

The grubs have really gotten a hold of my lawn.(70% sod and 30% fescue)
By the looks of the brownish top (versus the green) it looks like
about 40%-50% of my lawn has grub problems.. I went and pulled some
patches of lawn and it pulls up like carpet with about 2-4 grubs in a
4" square patch. I realize it is late in the year but being in N.
Alabama, we probably wont have our first frost until about Week 2
November. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there anything I can use now to kill them while they are feeding
??

2) What is the best insecticide to use in the spring?

3) What will I have to do to get my lawn back in shape?? I assume what
they have eaten is gone...never to return??

thanks a bunch....
Mark

Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey All,

The grubs have really gotten a hold of my lawn.(70% sod and 30% fescue)
By the looks of the brownish top (versus the green) it looks like
about 40%-50% of my lawn has grub problems.. I went and pulled some
patches of lawn and it pulls up like carpet with about 2-4 grubs in a
4" square patch. I realize it is late in the year but being in N.
Alabama, we probably wont have our first frost until about Week 2
November. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there anything I can use now to kill them while they are feeding
??

2) What is the best insecticide to use in the spring?

3) What will I have to do to get my lawn back in shape?? I assume what
they have eaten is gone...never to return??

thanks a bunch....
Mark

Although you may have to use a pesticide for immediate kill, there are
bacterial products you can use for long term maintenance. Originally, it was
bacillus thuringensis, if I recall, although that may be the one used for
other pests. A real garden center can assist you with this. It's been said
that if your neighbors don't also use this stuff, it's useless, but that has
not been my experience.

Also: Do a google search for the words "cooperative extension" along with
the name of your state. Call them - they offer free help for home gardeners.
And finally, if you notice skunks around the property, walk away. They eat
grubs the way I go through a bag of Fritos.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

3) What will I have to do to get my lawn back in shape?? I assume what
they have eaten is gone...never to return??

So..what is the best way to get the lawn back in shape?? Will I have
to shell out money to resod and reseed or will the grass come back???

sorry for the Noob questions.....

bama

Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"bamafamily" wrote in message
s.com...

3) What will I have to do to get my lawn back in shape?? I assume
what
they have eaten is gone...never to return??

So..what is the best way to get the lawn back in shape?? Will I have
to shell out money to resod and reseed or will the grass come back???

sorry for the Noob questions.....

bama

This question has been answered so many times in this newsgroup, so maybe
people are just tired of typing it again and again. And, there's information
missing from your question. Did you consult your cooperative extension
service, as I suggested yesterday?