Old 13-10-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Crepe Myrtle question

Hi all -- I posted this question to the NG last week and it never appeared
on my news server, so I apologize if this is a duplicate for you. When I
bought my house last year, the landscaper that did the initial work on the
property planted three crepe myrtles that are now about 4.5 feet tall. One
of them has bloomed three times since planting, but the others have never
even set buds. I don't know what the particular cultivars are, I just know
that they're supposed to be tree-sized eventually (10-15 feet tall) and each
is supposed to have blooms of a different color (the one that's blooming now
is deep plum/pink and the other two are supposed to be white and purple).
Can anyone think of a reason why two of these three similarly situated crepe
myrtles haven't bloomed yet? Are there particular cultivars that don't
bloom until later in their growth cycle? Thanks in advance for any info.

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

P.S.

********
Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.