GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   too late to seed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/150297-too-late-seed.html)

[email protected] 13-10-2006 08:39 PM

too late to seed?

Is there still time to put down grass seed (and have it germinate and
survive) in the northwest corner of Baltimore, MD? We're expecting our
first frost tonight, and were darn close last night. Would mid or late
September have been the best time to seed, or is the fact that established
grass still growing actively, and mowing is still necessary, mean that any
seeds and sprouts would be displaced or harmed by the mower?

The landscpaper wants to seed within the next week (rake bare spots and
dead areas before seeding them, and overseeding the rest of the lawn), but
would I be better off waiting until spring? If so, when is the best time
to seed in spring in this area?

Thanks,

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

TQ 13-10-2006 09:43 PM

too late to seed?

Late last month would have been ideal, but plenty of mild days ahead, so go
ahead and seed but get it done sooner than later.

.net...