GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   compost moving (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/15037-compost-moving.html)

gary 15-04-2003 03:44 PM

compost moving

I have a huge compost pile that needs turning. I can dig for an hour and
still have a small hole. Question. Has anyone tried using a snow blower on
a compost pile?

Thanks

Gary

New to the North country

Phisherman 15-04-2003 05:20 PM

compost moving

A hay pitch fork works well at moving compost quickly. Get a wide one
with a "D" handle rather than a narrow one.

Tom Jaszewski 16-04-2003 12:44 AM

compost moving

wrote:

Has anyone tried using a snow blower on
a compost pile?

With enough Scotch it *might* work......:)

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Audrey 16-04-2003 02:08 AM

compost moving

If you can get a snow blower in there (*I wouldn't*), you must have
room for a tiller! I've used my little 4-stroke Honda on a large pile
before, and it worked GREAT!

zhanataya 16-04-2003 02:20 AM

compost moving

wrote:

Has anyone tried using a snow blower on
a compost pile?

With enough Scotch it *might* work......:)

Thar approach would work for me.

Frogleg 18-04-2003 07:08 PM

compost moving

wrote:

I have a huge compost pile that needs turning. I can dig for an hour and
still have a small hole. Question. Has anyone tried using a snow blower on
a compost pile?

How do you plan to move the compost to *use* it? Slow/cold/lazy
compost doesn't need to be turned. Everything rots eventually. (Well,
most stacks of organic material.) Just start "harvesting" by digging
into the bottom sides of the pile. Snow blower sounds like a *very*
bad idea, both for the compost and the machine.