Old 18-10-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Somethings been eating my Bay Tree!

Whatever has been eating my bay tree leaves, also has a taste for
rhodedendron and several other shrubs in the garden.

The half eaten leaves look as if they have been eaten by vine weevil -
is this likely?

Whatever it is, they have attacked a lot of plants, front and back of
the house.

Any ideas how I can relieve myself of this pest?

Steve Jackson
Hatton, Warwick

Old 18-10-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 18, 1:03 pm, "Steve J" wrote:
Whatever has been eating my bay tree leaves, also has a taste for
rhodedendron and several other shrubs in the garden.

The half eaten leaves look as if they have been eaten by vine weevil -
is this likely?

Whatever it is, they have attacked a lot of plants, front and back of
the house.

Any ideas how I can relieve myself of this pest?

Steve Jackson
Hatton, Warwick

Steve:

A fairly easy solution that might just work is to spray the plants with
soapy water. I'm not sure if it makes the leaves taste bad or if It
gives the bugs diarrhea, which kills them. I prefer to assume the
former . I've used it for a broad variety of plants, including
vegetables. If it rains, you may have to re-apply if the bugs come
back.

HTH,

Nick

--
Nick Owen
http://www.gardentodo.com

Old 19-10-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nick Owen - GardenToDo.com wrote:
A fairly easy solution that might just work is to spray the plants with
soapy water. I'm not sure if it makes the leaves taste bad or if It
gives the bugs diarrhea, which kills them. I prefer to assume the
former . I've used it for a broad variety of plants, including
vegetables. If it rains, you may have to re-apply if the bugs come
back.

Good advice thanks Nick - I'll give a go!

Steve