Old 20-10-2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.violets,rec.gardens

Default African Violet diseases

I have four nice African Violet plants sitting together on a table. I
noticed one of them has something on the ends of many of the top of the
leaves that looks like light brown "dried mud". It doesn't wash off with
water and the plant appears very healthy otherwise. It hasn't spread to any
of the other plants either.

Anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Alan C.

Old 20-10-2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.violets,rec.gardens

"Jimmy-Bob" wrote in message
I have four nice African Violet plants sitting together on a table. I
noticed one of them has something on the ends of many of the top of the
leaves that looks like light brown "dried mud". It doesn't wash off with
water and the plant appears very healthy otherwise. It hasn't spread to any
of the other plants either.

Anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Alan C.

Which leaves? The bigger ones, whose stems are closer to the rim of the pot?
Or newer leaves which are more obviously growing from the center of the
plant?

Old 20-10-2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.violets,rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jimmy-Bob" wrote in message
I have four nice African Violet plants sitting together on a table. I
noticed one of them has something on the ends of many of the top of the
leaves that looks like light brown "dried mud". It doesn't wash off with
water and the plant appears very healthy otherwise. It hasn't spread to
any of the other plants either.

Anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Alan C.

Which leaves? The bigger ones, whose stems are closer to the rim of the
pot? Or newer leaves which are more obviously growing from the center of
the plant?

It's on the leaves between those close to the rim and some new ones in the
center.

Old 20-10-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.violets,rec.gardens

"Jimmy-Bob" wrote in message
I have four nice African Violet plants sitting together on a table. I
noticed one of them has something on the ends of many of the top of the
leaves that looks like light brown "dried mud". It doesn't wash off with
water and the plant appears very healthy otherwise. It hasn't spread to
any of the other plants either.

Anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Alan C.

Which leaves? The bigger ones, whose stems are closer to the rim of the
pot? Or newer leaves which are more obviously growing from the center of
the plant?

It's on the leaves between those close to the rim and some new ones in the
center.

Check out this page from one of the largest violet growers in the country:
http://www.lyndonlyon.com/Hints.html

If you love these plants, do NOT visit this place unless you're capable of
controlling your spending. Or, walk in with a fixed amount of cash and no
credit card. Don't ask me how I know this. :-)

Old 21-10-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.violets,rec.gardens

Jimmy-Bob wrote:
I have four nice African Violet plants sitting together on a table. I
noticed one of them has something on the ends of many of the top of the
leaves that looks like light brown "dried mud". It doesn't wash off with
water and the plant appears very healthy otherwise. It hasn't spread to any
of the other plants either.

Anyone have any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Alan C.

Do African Violets get scale? If it's scale the things would be easily
scraped off with a finger nail or knife point. If it's scale, move the
affected one away from the others and keep a close watch on the other
ones for a while.
I've never seen scale on an AV but I'm trying to make sense of your
description. Any of these on the underside of any leaves?

Steve